How difficult is it to learn another language?

Guest che

Now if there is a topic already on this, rest assured I checked first and could not find one :P

I have ben trying to learn to speak Finnish for sometime, and I feel I am getting nowhere. It is a very hard language to learn, and in my view many English people find it hard to learn another language.

So what are your motivations to try and talk in another language? And how difficult do you find this? And what is the best way to learn another language?

Che

In general, the older you are when you begin to learn a language the more difficult the task. Very young children are mutilingual easily, while for adults it is a lot more difficult.

Is Finnish a Germanic language? I'm trying to understand what language it might sound like. The type of language can also make it more difficult to learn. Good luck with it.

In general, the older you are when you begin to learn a language the more difficult the task. Very young children are mutilingual easily, while for adults it is a lot more difficult.

Is Finnish a Germanic language? I'm trying to understand what language it might sound like. The type of language can also make it more difficult to learn. Good luck with it.

The Finnish language is a Uralic language that is closely related to Estonian, it has common origins with Samoyed and languages spoken in the Volga region of Russia. It is not in itself a Germanic or Scandanavian language, but it has words that are related to other indo- European languages.

Either way it is difficult to learn and I am grateful for your support ;)

Che.

I'm sure part of the reason you're finding Finnish so difficult is because of all the declensions (17 or so, aren't there?). It is often said that Finnish is the most difficult language for English-speakers to learn.

In my opinion, the best way to learn a language is to use it, and to immerse yourself in it as much as possible. Languages, for the most part, aren't dead--they're living, breathing things. You're going to learn a lot more from listening and speaking and reading news and magazines than you'll ever learn from a textbook. Most importantly, have fun with it. Languages can be an absolute riot. I've studied seven in my lifetime, and have found them all to be extremely interesting and a lot of fun.

I've been to Helsinki in 1984, I still remember how difficult it was for my parents (and for myself) to communicate.

Finnish is an impossible language, I was told it sounds a little like Hungarian which I believe is another impossible language.

The second language in Finland is Swedish - every place has 2 names one in Finnish & one in Swedish which adds to the confusion (try going to the central train station and getting to the correct destination).

Another problem is that the Finns refuse to speak Swedish because of some historical misunderstandings they had with the Swedes.

Even international words like restaurant (ravintola) are impossible.

Still if you must learn Finnish, I would sudgest that you move to Finland for a year, since it is very difficult to manage in English you must pick up the language by the time you leave for home...

I've always had trouble learning other languages. Getting the adverbs,adjecitives etc down in English was tough enough but trying to do it in another language-yikes!!! Some people just have a better aptitude for it than others. The language that I did best in while I was in school was Latin-swell!!! <_< Now I dont remember diddly about it. What a waste!!!!

Now if there is a topic already on this, rest assured I checked first and could not find one :P

I have ben trying to learn to speak Finnish for sometime, and I feel I am getting nowhere. It is a very hard language to learn, and in my view many English people find it hard to learn another language.

So what are your motivations to try and talk in another language? And how difficult do you find this? And what is the best way to learn another language?

Che

Che!

Finnish is a difficult language to learn but I know at least 4 Brits who master Finnish quite well.I see those persons occasionally and we we usually talk in Finnish and when they can't find the rights words we switch to English.

They are all in their late 30s and they can handle Finnish quite well in situations such as buying a ticket in a railway station, communicating with a waiter in a restaurant and speaking on a general topics such as politics and weather.

Don't give up! You can always send me a PM if you need some help with translation from Finnish to English and vice versa.

Edited by Swinger

JohnJ

If it makes you feel any better I've been speaking Japanese for over twenty years and although I have no problems with daily life I still get bewildered trying to follow complex news stories like the current Nippon Broadcasting Live Door business.

I'd say a lot depends on your age and attitude, the early stages are sheer hard work and grit.

JohnJ

If it makes you feel any better I've been speaking Japanese for over twenty years and although I have no problems with daily life I still get bewildered trying to follow complex news stories like the current Nippon Broadcasting Live Door business.

I'd say a lot depends on your age and attitude, the early stages are sheer hard work and grit.

I think you are right in that it seems much harder the older you are, all my children can talk reasonably in French or German, for me it is a time and motivation issue ;)

Che.

Yea, I'm sure that Finnish is tough. I spent a little time learning Hungarian, which, as you say, is a related language. I didn't get too far, and have now forgotten almost everything. But I enjoyed it.

Hungarian grammar is so different that it was fascinating to learn. Almost all articles English become suffixes in Hungarian. Along with declension suffixes, a word can simultaneously take 4 or 5 suffixes at a time.

I believe that there is a real payoff to learning a language like that beyond its practical usefullness. It can stretch thought processes as a sort of mental exercise. Forcing yourself to articulate something in an language far removed from your native tongue can be mind expanding.

So keep it up, Che! :g

Yea, I'm sure that Finnish is tough. I spent a little time learning Hungarian, which, as you say, is a related language. I didn't get too far, and have now forgotten almost everything. But I enjoyed it.

Hungarian grammar is so different that it was fascinating to learn. Almost all articles English become suffixes in Hungarian. Along with declension suffixes, a word can simultaneously take 4 or 5 suffixes at a time.

I believe that there is a real payoff to learning a language like that beyond its practical usefullness. It can stretch thought processes as a sort of mental exercise. Forcing yourself to articulate something in an language far removed from your native tongue can be mind expanding.

So keep it up, Che! :g

Thanks for the encouragement and I think you are right about how learning a language can help expand the mind. It also helps me learn a great deal more about Finland, its culture, its history etc.

For me the is as much a part of learning a language as the language itself. For example this summer my wife and I will go to Italy with the kids, this will be our first time and I have already got a basis CD to help me with a few phrases. In fact we have all listened to the CD.

Che.

I travel quite a bit - 115 countries or so in the past dozen years. I always try to learn ten 'key' words or phrases from each language I encounter. I can only echo the sentiments of others: Finnish is among the toughest. Heck, even Russian - with the Cyrillic alphabet - is a relative cinch.

I think the best way to learn a language is to live in other country. Many years ago I spent one year in the US. I remember after 6 months I have started to dream in English and I could even think in English. Unfortunately, now I don’t have enough opportunities to practice my English so sometimes I have translate in my mind what I want to say before I start speaking.

i agree, to speak well a foreing language you should live there

when it comes to communicate you can always find ways to learn essential stuff

i dunno about finnish but i love to learn foreign languages

i do speak portuguese (very difficult language) french & spanish

i can communicate in english & italian

sometimes it's a mess on my brain trying to find the correct word :wacko:

Marcus

i agree, to speak well a foreing language you should live there

when it comes to communicate you can always find ways to learn essential stuff

i dunno about finnish but i love to learn foreign languages

i do speak portuguese (very difficult language) french & spanish

i can communicate in english & italian

sometimes it's a mess on my brain trying to find the correct word :wacko:

Marcus

I have a friend who is South African, his mother was from Portugal and he can speak Portuguese.

I am impressed by you range of languages.

Che.

I think one of the particular factors that helps is to be able to hear different languages spoken. In England we have been somewhat isolated from the rest of Europe and this is a factor in many people not being able to talk in another language.

Che.