Tone Jansa - BOUYANCY

JSngry

cs-15.jpg

http://www.cosmicsounds-london.com/label/cs-15/cs-15.html

Heard this last night and really dug it. Some hip (then)Yugoslavian Traneish stuff from 1976 & 1978, with tunes and grooves that are more 70s than 60s. Often reminiscent of the best Steve Grossman PM sides from the 70s, minus Grossnman's Gonzo Facto of the time. Not "heavy" like Trane, but still very energetic and sincere music that feels both good and right.

Never heard of Tone Jansa before (maybe heard or read the name once or twice, but that's all), so what's the story with him? Is he still alive and playing? What other records has he made? Etc., etc., etc.

My enthusiasm/affection for this "type" of playing is usually not extremely high, but this disc is an exception (as are those Grossman PM sides). Further enlightenment on Tone Jansa will certainly be welcome!

Jansa recorded a couple of albums on Timeless with Woody Shaw. One of which, Dr. Chi I have and can easily recommend. I also have heard one or two radio broadcasts of live performances by the same group that are pretty good.

Edited by relyles

Jansa recorded a couple of albums on Timeless with Woody Shaw.  One of which, Dr. Chi I have and can easily recommend.

One of those is currently in stock at Dussy Bassar:

http://www.dustygroove.com/jazzcd4.htm#81775

shaw_woody~_woodyshaw_102b.jpg

Woody Shaw -- Woody Shaw With The Tone Jansa Quartet Timeless (Netherlands), 1985

One of our favorite Woody Shaw albums from his later years -- and an album that's got the same joyous spirit and free soaring feel of his best 70s work! The core group on the album is the Tone Jansa Quartet -- led by European reedman Jansa, and working in a space that's quite similar to that of Shaw's backing groups on previous sessions. Jansa wrote all the tunes on the set, and gave them a soaring feel that we really love -- just the right mix of introspection and exploration found on classic Shaw sessions like Little Red's Fantasy or Lovedance. Titles include "Midi", "Boland", "Call Mobility", "River", and "May".

Edited by JSngry