Happy birthday James Moody

B. Goren.

Truly one of my favorite players.

And one of my favorite people.

A beautiful cat all around.

Someday, I'll tell the story of Moody's birthday, oh so many years ago. I still laugh. I still cry. But the bottom line on it was, Moody's one h*ll of a guy.

Here are 3 of my favorite Moody albums (actually I have only 3 but they all my favorites).

Moody's Party [LIVE]

B000003D56.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

He played pretty well when he was seventy on this live concert with some guest stars. Benny's from Heaven is one of the funniest tracks I heard.

Moody Plays Mancini

B000002NG5.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

At the Jazz Workshop

B000006EJ6.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This album can be found in a more reasonable price than the one shown in Amazon and was recorded by the "Chess" label. It has plenty of Moody on flute and also two tracks with Eddie Jefferson. On one of them he sings the famous Charlie Parker solo (which I think some of you already know by heart) from Lady Be Good from the JATP concert.

When you meet him he frequently does the Euro kiss-on-each-cheek greeting, which is certainly endearing. He also wears a lot of cologne (it's not at all unpleasant, it's just that there's a lot of it!) and so after the greeting you are semi-permanently annointed with the scent. It was stuck in my coat for weeks! And I didn't even care. :g