What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Krister-Henriksson-as-Wal-011.jpg

Wallander

The 6 part final series. Pretty harrowing as the hero is gradually overtaken by Alzheimer's. The first episode is based round the final book, the other episodes seem newly written though I suspect the last episode (which hasn't been broadcast yet) will pick back up on the book.

Also:

10427100-1305547877-500734.jpg

Wasn't sure about this at first but it drew me in. Pretty bleak.

Also started watching 'Happy Valley' but the series disappeared from the replayer the day after I saw episode 1. Have that on my rental list now. Looked pretty grim up North.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

10427100-1305547877-500734.jpg

Up to episode 6/7. It was slow to start but has me well gripped. Not easy to follow - there are a lot of threads unravelling and criss-crossing simultaneously and it's hard to know where the essential story line is. Which makes it intriguing. Hard to know who the real bad guys are.

Happy Valley BBC 1 - 6

uktv-happy-valley-episode-3.jpg

Superb, one of the best British crime thrillers I've ever seen.

I think I've seen every major BBC and ITV cop thriller going back to Cracker, Morse and beyond, but I can't think of another that bowled me over so completely as Happy Valley.

Thanks, Kinuta, for the rec here. Just finished episode 5 tonight. Superb.

Interesting to see a series where all the strong characters are women. Sarah Lancashire is superb in the main role.

Happy Valley BBC 1 - 6

uktv-happy-valley-episode-3.jpg

Superb, one of the best British crime thrillers I've ever seen.

I think I've seen every major BBC and ITV cop thriller going back to Cracker, Morse and beyond, but I can't think of another that bowled me over so completely as Happy Valley.

Thanks, Kinuta, for the rec here. Just finished episode 5 tonight. Superb.

Interesting to see a series where all the strong characters are women. Sarah Lancashire is superb in the main role.

Will this eventually make it to DVD??

Well, yes, but. . . to me it's 90 percent "House." Entertaining at times.

I'm watching episodes of "Long Island Medium."

Yes, I can see that, less abrasive and narcissistic than House and still concentrated on neurological matters, although the spectre of the dreaded mother in law derailing her love life looms large.

All beside the point as it's no doubt doomed to an early appointment with Ye Olde corporate hatchet man :o

Watching last night's "Black Box" now. My biggest beef with the show is that they use extreme poetic license with the way withdrawing from psychiatric drugs and initiating psychiatric drugs are portrayed. At the very least they shorten the time frame drastically. Bothers me, gets me out of the story.

Interesting personal history with this show for me. It premiered and watching Kelly Reilly made me think once again of an old friend here in Ohio from when I lived here before over 33 years agno, whom I had located and started a bit of email communication with. I had recently arranged finally to have two evenings off a week, and after watching the premier I made another attempt to meet with this old friend. We did meet, the very next Thursday, and in fact two nights later we watched the second show together on my DVR. We have spent each of my nights off together since that first Thursday night. And as many other hours as we can squeeze in of my very limited free time. "Black Box" accelerated my making another effort to get in touch with her, and believe me, I'm so glad I did.

Edited by jazzbo

The Assets

media-2404831223458675823-2048x1024_Comc

Keen tele addicts might remember this ABC eight part mini series based on the espionage escapades of Aldrich Ames.

In a WTF moment ABC cancelled it after just two, excellent and riveting, episodes. Fans gnashing of teeth proved ineffective but now, after a gap of several months the remaining episodes are available on line

It's really, really good, I recommend it and also Aldrich Ames : The Traitor Within , if you can find a copy.

Edited by kinuta