What Are You Watching

Rewatching some of The Mentalist Season 1.

The_mentalist_3_380.jpg

The quirky waistcoats and tea drinking apart these shows are very tightly written and often complex. The cast play well together, the Joe Friday poker faced Cho and the tired looking Lisbon all balance things out nicely. The Red John backstory is never allowed to intrude too much into the episodes.

I was quite indifferent to The Mentalist when it started but it's now one of my favourites and doesn't tire on subsequent viewings. The Missus is also a fan.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried a few episodes of "Lost Girl," didn't work for me.

I'm watching "The River" from last night. This is a show, like "American Horror Story" that is so absurd and over the top, touching on so many cliches and worn plots, that I find it somehow oddly amusing.

Edited by jazzbo

Now seen 4 of the Inspector Montalbano series. I was slow to warm to these - the plots creak a bit and there's an opera buffa element in the police station that is a bit silly.

But the scenery is amazing. And the soundtrack has had me digging out my Mediterranean jazz albums.

Less than two weeks until Mad Men returns. I am stoked. Still toggling between this and The Sopranos as my all-time favorite.

Just curious, has anyone else's significant other blown off MM in deference to how it portrays women?

Edited by Dave James

Just curious, has anyone else's significant other blown off MM in deference to how it portrays women?

I've actually been bothered by that myself, I understand the reality of it, but it still irks me. I watched about half of Season One but I've never completed it. I plan to revisit one of these days, but I have to be in the right frame of mind for it first.

It took me forever to get past a lot of the characters in that show and how they treat others. And I still don't really like many of them at all. But the production values are excellent and there's a fascination that keeps me coming back.

My gal just shrugs at the way the women are treated. She works with huge judge egos long hours every day. She knows how to maneuver and to an extent manipulate.

The lack of likable characters is one of the primary things that's hindering me from enjoying it. I guess that's more of a fatal flaw to me, it kind of reminds me of films like 'The Grifters" where I just couldn't enjoy it because I HATED every character in the film.

From a production standpoint it's an amazing show, hopefully one of these days I'll be in the appropriate headspace to appreciate it.

I guess I'm in a very different 'headspace' cuz I like most of the characters on Mad Men. Perhaps "like" is a bad way to put it---"appreciate" would be more apposite. I certainly don't like them the way I would like a person in real life. Same way I like all the characters in Breaking Bad, especially Walt.

Interesting, as I see no similarity between LOST and The River. The River I think is wildly entertaining in the way that American Horror Story is: completely derivative and throwing in every genre cliche but the kitchen sink, and it's dramatic aspects became very funny.

Alcatraz. . . I keep checking in on it and wanting to like it but I just keep getting appalled by the senseless killing after senseless killing, the totally ridiculous concept of Sarah Jones as a detective and Jorge Garcia as a cracker jack historian, and there's nothing appealing about the series at all for me.

Looking forward to the return of the Killing; I just got the Blu-ray set of the first season in the mail and am looking forward to spinning it.