The end of vinyl?

mikeweil

I haven't bought new vinyl for at least 15 years. I, of course, buy vintage jazz records, but all my recent releases have been on CD for at least ten years. I didn't buy any new music in the intervening years.

Out with a whimper, not a bang, for most people, particularly my daughters' generation.

Yes, I agree with Harold. Recent releases on vinyl seem to be almost novelty items. CDs have definitely taken over the music scene. Not a horrible thing, but it has happened. My youngest daughter, who is twenty, has never owned a record and is a little embarrassed that I do :blink: . My older daughter did have her children's records, Sesame Street, the Muppet Show etc. on vinyl when she was little, but has never owned a record since. To them, I might as well be collecting cylinders.

Getting replacement needles and other maintenance items and service for our turntables, as Harold mentioned, in order to play our treasured vintage Jazz is what concerns me. Even now, at least where I am, vinyl and the equipment to play it seems to be the exclusive territory of old guys who own vintage record stores, and luckily, I have befriended a couple of them. I've actually wondered what I will do if they show no consideration for me and die, which they surely will.:(

Edited by patricia

• 3 weeks later...

There was an article in the local paper about an apparent resurgence of interest in vinyl which mentioned the local sources.

However, the interest seems to be more in obtaining the original records issued by groups only from the sixties on, like the Beatles and the Stones etc. The idea that people like us would be anxious to find old jazz prior to the sixties was totally ignored. Most of my most treasured jazz records are those which were recorded in the thirties, forties and fifties.

I've found that the best sources for old, original jazz, with the exception of one vintage record outlet, are garage sales and second-hand stores.

So, back to square one.