The Masters 2005

His comeback might be even more impressive than the time he won by 12, or whatever the margin was.

I also read before the Masters started that Tiger needs this one in order to keep pace with Nicklaus. Goes to show just how long his Major drought went.

I assume I am correctly using the past tense. B-)

If Tiger does win today, and considering where he was after the first round, I think it has to be one of his most impressive victories. His opening 18 was almost comical. When my friends and I play, one of our favorite sayings is "no good shot goes unpunished." Even though Tiger created some of his own problems, that expression also applied to him on Thursday. To stage the kind of comeback we're in the midst of seeing now, says it all about Woods. He is without a doubt the most mentally tough guy out there. When you combine that with his physical ability and the condition he keeps himself in, he's head and shoulders above anyone else on the tour. As Jack Nicklaus said several years ago, "He plays a game with which I'm not familiar." Just the spectre of Tiger playing well I'm sure contributed to DiMarco's 41 on the back nine earlier this morning.

It's just too bad no one could figure out how to get this on TV. I'm guessing the nine this morning may be the most dramatic portion of the entire tournament, and no one got to see it.

Up over and out.

Well he pulled it out, barely. As much as this will count towards the legend of Tiger, I think you have to give so much credit to Dimarco for competing as well as he did. Three shots back on the final 9 and he forced a playoff. If Tiger hadn't made that unbelievable shot, or if Dimarco's first pitch on 18 had found the cup, it wouldn't have even gone to a playoff.

As easy as it is to say that Tiger will break Nicklaus' record for majors, I think its just as likely that Dimarco will start winning some of those, too. Guy's got game.

Dan,

Amen to that. In my earlier note I alluded to Woods' mental toughness. DiMarco was every bit as tough as Tiger this afternoon, if not more so. I don't think we've seen the last of this guy in the winner's circle.

That was some great golf. Tiger's shot on 16 is one for the ages. As much as I dislike what the Master's stands for, it can be quite a show.

Up over and out.

Yeah, the put on 16 was just unbelievable. I admired Tiger's idea for that shot as he was setting it up, and I was screaming like mad when it worked according to his plan and then when it stopped, I went emotionally the other way and then when it went in, I was screaming my head off. I usually don't get into someone else's golf shot this much, but I got sucked into it given the state of the golf game at that time. Just incredible.

Expect the unexpected.....

Well he pulled it out, barely. As much as this will count towards the legend of Tiger, I think you have to give so much credit to Dimarco for competing as well as he did. Three shots back on the final 9 and he forced a playoff. If Tiger hadn't made that unbelievable shot, or if Dimarco's first pitch on 18 had found the cup, it wouldn't have even gone to a playoff.

As easy as it is to say that Tiger will break Nicklaus' record for majors, I think its just as likely that Dimarco will start winning some of those, too. Guy's got game.

Yep, I was pulling for him - gutsy player. It was a great finish ... would have loved to have seen Dimarco win!

As much as I dislike what the Master's stands for

I was mad at them for not showing the bottom nine of the 3rd round this morning. I was watching the Golf channel where they were talking about the Masters and CBS was showing some infomerical when some exciting golf was going on. If CBS did not want preempt their infomerical, why can't they give access to Golf Channel to show the game?

The Golf channel guys interviewed someone from CBS and that guy gave the annoying reply "Why fix something that ain't broken?'. But the real reason is Hooty.... He just does not care what the golf public wants. He only cares about his old boy's club and the select and exclusive patrons and the value of the tickets they hold. To show even the full 18 holes of the final round, he had to be dragged in kickin' and screamin'.

16 was indeed sweet....but overall, I think DiMarco outplayed him and should have been able to take it. That ball rolling back on the seventh green due to vibrations a 30-45 secs after it had touched down was just insane. I love listening to these fawning announcers. :lol: Woods lands it 30 feet from the flag on 12 and one of the toadies gives us a hearty "Bullseye!!". Dimarco gets a "Very Good!" for dropping in a foot from the pin on 14. :rolleyes:

It was kind of funny, I flew back today via Atlanta (of course everyone in the airport was watching the Masters on the TVs, and the pilot kept us updated on the flight) and apparently there were many golfers on the flight, because when we got to baggage claim in KC there were about a million golf bag hard cases, including mine which happened to have my trombone in it (it's a slick way to ship the axe since I can't carry it on)!

Nobody asked me what my handicap was, but I was ready to answer "Giant Steps". :g

Yeah, the chip on 16 was just unbelievable. I admired Tiger's idea for that shot as he was setting it up, and I was screaming like mad when it worked according to his plan and then when it stopped, I went emotionally the other way and then when it went in, I was screaming my head off. I usually don't get into someone else's golf shot this much, but I got sucked into it given the state of the golf game at that time. Just incredible.

Expect the unexpected.....

Apparently NIKE execs were feeling much the same way. Seems Woods was playing a new prototype ball that comes out next month. Amazing that the thing rested for a few moments so all could see the swoosh.

Try this at 80 : Tiger chip.

Yup, the folks at Nike are already figuring out how they can best turn this shot to their advantage. Tiger was using a new ball at The Masters called the Nike Platinum One. It will not be available to the general public for a few months, so they'll have plenty of time to get the 20+ handicap crowd all lathered up thinking about what this ball can do for their game. Cost for a dozen of these bad boys is...hold onto your hat...$54.00. That's $4.50 a copy. Anyone who spends that kind of money for a golf ball who doesn't have a handicap in the low single digits should be shot.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James