Metallica

Soulstation1

I haven't been much of a Metallica fan since the "Black" album came out, but I did see this film in the theater and enjoyed it quite a bit, so I bought the DVD when it came out. The special features are very interesting. Until this DVD came out, I don't think I'd ever watched all the special features for any DVD I've owned or rented.

What's nice about "Some Kind of Monster" is that it shows the human side of Metallica--arguments, pain, resolution, etc. So many artists and stars these days try to make themselves look perfect to the outside world, but this film lets the viewer see the real people, warts and all. The viewer also gets to see (what I consider to be) a more unfortunate side of the music business these days: songs being cut and spliced together in Pro-tools. :tdown

Edited by vibes

This is an excellent documentary, one of the best "rock docs" that I've ever seen. Lars can be a one-dimenstional asshole, but even he has his moments on this one. A fascinating film for music fans...even if you don't like Metallica.

As for the band, I lost interest after And Justice For All (which I have always felt sounded like flat Coke). But the recent album St. Anger (which is the one recorded in the movie) has some good moments and is the most honest & personal of the bands career. I'm looking forward to hearing what they accomplish next with new bass player Robert Trujilo...he's a fantastic player.

But the recent album St. Anger (which is the one recorded in the movie) has some good moments and is the most honest & personal of the bands career.

I'm gonna have to disagree and say that St. Anger is, and this is not hyperbole here, the worst album of the past 25 years.

It is embarrasing, lyrically, musically, and sonically. It is a sham perpetrated on the people. And honest it is not. It is pretend music as they try to prove they can still rock to their more intelligent fans who deserted them long ago. Unfortunately, they do not rock at all.

I still sorta want to see the movie though.

I'm gonna have to disagree and say that St. Anger is, and this is not hyperbole here, the worst album of the past 25 years.

With all the Kenny G, Spice Girls and Britney Spears albums that have come out in the last 25 years, I think we're taking this a bit far. :P

so i take it the entire st anger cd was a cut and paste job?

From the movie, it certainly looks that way. And the sound is not all that good. I get a lot more enjoyment out of watching the DVD that came with "St. Anger" (it has them playing all the songs on the album "live" in the studio) than I do out of listening to the actual album.

With all the Kenny G, Spice Girls and Britney Spears albums that have come out in the last 25 years, I think we're taking this a bit far. :P

Sadly, I'm not.

MAybe I'll watch the doc tonight though. I'm sure it will be interesting.

I remember there was a write-up in the New York Times Magazine about the making of this documentary, and particularly about the therapist. I might watch but then again I never gave a shit about Metallica in the first place, so this would be like a Spice Girls documentary, but without the eye candy.

I remember there was a write-up in the New York Times Magazine about the making of this documentary, and particularly about the therapist. I might watch but then again I never gave a shit about Metallica in the first place, so this would be like a Spice Girls documentary, but without the eye candy.

James Hatfield will kick your ass if you don't watch it.

:)

I saw this last night for the first time too. I liked it a lot, but I expected it to be more intense (i.e. more of Lars being a dickhead). I'm not a Metallica fan, but I've always thought a look at the psychology of being in a band was/is fasinating. I think this movie makes up for the Napster debacle with the fans with Lars especially. Just as someone said earlier, it shows them as human beings. That's what everyone is all the time anyway, right? Best was the Dave Mustaine scene and I find it brave of him to have it filmed.

I thought that "St. Anger" was a very mediocre record, and the movie shows exactly where it all went wrong. Do these guys even enjoy playing music anymore?

Hatfield churns out totally cliched power chord riffs (even Lars calls them 'stock riffs' somewhere in the film) and Kirk Hammett comes off like a spineless yes-man. The whole album is a Protools cut-and-paste affair (it's pretty obvious when you listen to the drumming closely).

The only person who really seems really enthousiastic about playing music is Robert Trujillo, while the original Metallica members look like they would rather be doing anything else, like bear hunting or collecting paintings.

Having said that, the movie itself is indeed very enjoyable.

I will agree that St. Anger isn't a perfect record...and there are definitely some duds. But in comparison with the whole Load/Re-Load...it's way better in my opinion. But that's cool...not everyone hears the same thing the same way...I thought the Black album was a piece of shit...still do.

As for the "cut & paste"...that's been happening for years..way before Pro-Tools...you just had to use a razor blade before. :lol:

I guess I am a Metallica fan even though I came to this band late. When they recorded with the SF sympthony (sp--Jesusss I can't spell anymore) a few years ago, I went back to take a better look because metal never did it for me.

I watched the commericial free version of the doc on VH1 last night and fell asleep on the last 30 minutes, darn. It was a great warts and all documentary and an interesting look inside a phenom. The one thing that no one ever talked about was how much money was at stake if Hetfield didn't come back to the band. I hope to catch a rerun and see the last half hour. I thought it was terrific. These guys are local so a lot of their drama was reeled out on the local news. Even though none of it was "new," it was still pretty interesting.

These guys seem to be the real deal. They let their fans tape their concerts. They did a free concert in the Coliseum parking lot when the Raiders were in the playoffs because they are big Raiders fans. They announced the concert like five minutes before to avoid a riot. Very cool.

What IS Newsted doing now?

Edited by RainyDay

I watched some of this - their endless self analysis made me ill and I could watch no more. They were the best kick ass group until Cliff died. That was the end for me. Those early records are still great - lots of anger and energy. Ride the Lightnin!!!!!!! Now they are pampered old men with too much free time and money. Sad to watch. The best Metallica to see is the old video they put out in the 80s with all the official/unofficial bootlegs of the band from the Cliff era.