Charlie Rouse

mrjazzman

I know I am in a minority but I always liked 'Bossa Nova Bacchanal' on BN. Rouse really got the right mood of the Brazilian music on that date.

Me too Brownie but I'd admit I prefer Ike Quebec's bossa offering on BN. The Rouse date has a rawness to the playing and sound that's highly appealing.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Elis. Must have been great to see Sphere at that time!

Actually, Paul Jeffrey replaced Rouse as the regular saxophonist in the final years of Monk's career. . . but I bet Rouse wasn't too far away . . . .

Family.jpg

I am not sure that any of Jeffrey's work with Monk has made it to cd, though recently it was reported that he turned in over 20 hours of tapes to the Monk family of his participation with Monk, so perhaps one day soon! He brought a different feel to the music. . . he did well in Rouse's chair!

"Moment's Notice" on Jazzcraft, from 1977, is a Rouse record I have been enjoying for a long time. It has also the added bonus, to me, of Hugh Lawson playing piano, a musicians I have alvays found very interesting. This sessions has been reissued on CD by Storyville, plus four alternate tracks.

Does anyone know the Rouse LP on Strata-East, "Two Is One"? Quite different from everything else he's done, with two electric guitars (George Davis, who I think used to play with Dizzy, and Paul Metzke, who was in Gil Evans' orchestra then), Calo Scott on cello, Stanley Clarke on bass, David Lee on drums and Airto on percussion,

Luca

Kevin -

I have always heard the story told that the first Sphere session was already finished and the band did not hear the news of Monk's death until they returned home. Most recently I heard this account given by Ben Riley on a WKCR interview, within the last year or so.

Also, if you could supply the details of those European CDs, I would be very grateful - label, exact catalog number, release date.

Thanks!

Mike

I have always heard the story told that the first Sphere session was already finished and the band did not hear the news of Monk's death until they returned home. Most recently I heard this account given by Ben Riley on a WKCR interview, within the last year or so.

Mike, I'm looking at the liners now (I was at work when I typed my post above) and you're right, they didn't find out until after. It still must've been weird that day for them. They just finish recording basically a tribute album and the honoree happened to die just before they started recording? That'd give me the willies.

The info on the CDs I have is:

Sphere - Four In One - Electra Masters - Warner Jazz - Made in Germany

Catalog Number: 7559-62601-2

UPC code: 75596 26012

1. Four In One (Monk) 6:53

2. Light Blue (Monk) 3:38

3. Monk's Dream (Monk) 5:58

4. Evidence (Monk) 5:59

5. Reflections (Monk) 5:58

6. Eronel (Monk) 6:53

Sphere - Flight Path - Electra Masters - Warner Jazz - Made in Germany

Catalog Number: 7559-62602-2

UPC code: 75596 26022

1. If I Should Lose You (Robin/Rainger) 10:31

2. Pumpkins' Delight (Charlie Rouse) 6:40

3. Played Twice (Monk) 4:30

4. El Sueño (Kenny Barron) 5:27

5. Christina (Dedicated To Buster William's Niece) (Buster Williams) 4:47

6. Flight Path (Kenny Barron) 4:45

Does anyone know the Rouse LP on Strata-East, "Two Is One"? Quite different from everything else he's done, with two electric guitars (George Davis, who I think used to play with Dizzy, and Paul Metzke, who was in Gil Evans' orchestra then), Calo Scott on cello, Stanley Clarke on bass, David Lee on drums and Airto on percussion,

Interesting rather than essential. I dismissed it after I got it but a friend said it to give it another go and I kept it but I'm still far from sure.

In my mind I file along with the Herbie (Mwandishi) and Shorter (Super Nova) stuff, though its not really like either, in that it sounds like an interesting experiment that doesn't quite come off. Shouldn't be too hard to find on CD since its been issued by Charly...

Cool Flurin, those look great! Thanks for the pics.

Oh well... this thread makes me want to get them, too! As well as the Uptowns and the Enja with Bailey and the Bossa Bacchanal (if that wasn't a copycrap disc here, I'd have it anway, I almost fully stopped buying and EMI/BN discs ever since...)

The first two Sphere dates on Electra are in print from Europe in digipaks.

187900.jpg

187912.jpg

Those are the ones I have. They have showed up in some stores over here but I haven't looked in a while. I see where Crazy Jazz, out of the UK, has both for around $15 each, but I think I paid less than that.

Kevin

15$ would be an ok prize. German Amazon has them for 13 Euro. I guess with a little patience they could indeed be found a bit cheaper than 15$.

I just want to put in a word for a sentimental favorite, Rouse's "Upper Manhattan Jazz Society" on Enja. Great tunes, great blowing. He's almost overshadowed by Benny Bailey and Albert Dailey, but that's OK with me.

There's some worthwhile sideman Rouse on Benny Bailey's "Grand Slam" on Storyville. Interesting tunes, too.

Those two European Sphere cds are available from cduniverse.com --one is 13 dollars right now, the other 16.

I wonder why they say "Holland"? I guess the distributor may be out of Holland, but if they're the discs I have, they say, "Made In Germany" right on them.

Lon, Mike, you'll like these. They did a nice job with these reissues.

Kevin

Guest akanalog

to whoever asked-as someone who likes electric jazz the best-i am not crazy about rouse's strata east album. it is ok but nothing special. i find many strata east albums disappointing and this is one of them. it has its moments but...well it is worth checking out but don't pay too much.