I gotta praise Mick Jagger!!

wolff

sorry - he doesn't hold a candle to Eric Burdon, who still sings great - to me Mick is the blues singer of the bourgeouisie -

By any objective criterion, Burdon is certainly the better singer. On the other hand, I would rather listen to Jagger, myself. It is hard to explain why. There is something highly personal and enjoyable about his delivery.

When Mick sings the blues, it sounds more original to me than Burdon, maybe even less "authentic," but more interesting to my ears.

Edited by John L

I seriously dig Tom Jone's cover of "War". He is on the bill with T.O.P. this summer near my house. I'm getting tickets.

I am just used to people making fun of me when I say I dig Tom Jones.

Jimmy Alfredson says I'm not right.

Some other favorite vocalists:

Paul Rodgers

Billy Holiday

Freddy Mercury

Ray Charles

Alice Stuart

Boz Skaggs

Al Green

Mel Torme

Allison Kraus

and

Freddy Cunningham

of the Michigan band

RootDoctor

Oh and for those of you who may not know, Organissimo's own Jim Alfredson sings his ass off. Seriously.

However, until he stops teasing me about the Tom Jone's thing, he does not make the official list. :P

I think Burdon is the better singer but I have more cds with Mick-a discrepancy which I should rectify one day. I lost just about all respect for Jagger after that piece of shit song "Angie".

No accounting for taste I guess, but I love "Angie".

Saw the Stones a few years ago at the Tokyo Dome and they remain a terrific live act. Don't know where Mick gets his energy from.

a few weeks ago Eric Burdon was on one of those PBS pledge-night nostalgia shows - which I usually hate, and usually the musicians sound terrible, tired and out of date. He was fantastic, full of energy, and his voice better than ever - I just find Jagger to be a poseur; I prefer many others - Jagger is a little like Lou Reed - if he'd retired in 1970 we would remember him fondly, but he's become a parody of himself.

Rod Stewart - despite his many, many sins from the mid-70s onwards - deserves a place in this emerging list.

I agree totally Bev. Those early Mercury (in the States anyway) albums and the early Faces stuff - he is just awesome as a singer and I can't forget his work with Jeff Beck.

Edited by skeith

Two more things:

1) I love Mick's singing but I agree that of late it has been a bit silly.

2) I like Tom Jones and wonder if many of you remember how popular his TV show was here in the States.

I think his singing on the theme song for the Bond film "Thunderball" was fantastic and is my favorite Bond theme of all.

My favorite blues singer from that part of the world is Van Morrison.

Interesting.. I once read an interview with Mick where the interviewer asked him how it felt to be the greatest rock and roll singer and Mick said that honor goes to Van Morrison.

Paul Rodgers

and Freddy Mercury are

the tops for classic rock

singers, imo.

Rod Stewart - despite his many, many sins from the mid-70s onwards - deserves a place in this emerging list.

I get in a lot of arguments over Rod Stewart. He is hated by many in jazz circles, especially for those last standards albums (which I don't like either).

But I do like Rod Stewart. Maybe it is just my love for Sam Cooke. I love Sam Cooke so much that I am a sucker for anyone who tries to take Sam in some new direction.

Oh God Sundog

Yes, yes, yes,  I adore them both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whatever bro...

At their best, both true originals who could/can really bring something to a tune. On a related tangent getting back to the original thought of the the thread... over the years Mick seems to have tried to emulate both of them from time to time. Not bad roll models all things considered. Both pretty soulful in their own unique ways.

....funny how?