Artie Shaw's Mosaic collection

Guest Chaney

Anybody know whether Artie had kept his unplayed (at least professionally) clarinet for the past half century?  I bet that would go for a nice sum!

Have you seen these eBay listings?:

WWII Selmer Clarinet owned by Artie Shaw

Selmer Clarinet owned by Artie Shaw

Buffet Clarinet owned by Artie Shaw

ARTIE SHAW ORIGINAL AUTOGRAPH SCORE: CLARINET CONCERTO

Great music in that Mosaic set. . . !  Sure wish Universal would consider a comprehensive cd reissue program. . . but know better. :mellow:

Could not agree more. Perhaps Mosaic can be convinced to lease and release the material again on CDs. Since they would be releasing the material on CDs, they would not be exactly going back on their word that they release each set of material only once. Perhaps we can lobby them to do so for some anniversary -- sort of an appreciation to all their loyal supporters/customers.

Another set I hope Mosaic does is a set of Artie Shaw's music. Complete Gramercy 5 sessions would be very nice indeed. I once contacted Mosaic about such a set, and MC wrote back saying that Artie Shaw wants too much money for it. I guess that would be a non-issue now.

Edited by Bol

Artie donated two of his clarinets to the Smithsonian. One was a Selmer, the other a Buffet.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian/...r04/object.html

Mike

Thanks for the link. I really enjoyed the article. As for calling himself an "80% loser", again I concur with Gunther Schuller's assessment of Shaw in his fabulous book, THE SWING ERA, "methinks he protests too much". He was quite certain of his greatness.

Edited by MartyJazz

Y'know, he had it all this time; didn't he ever find time to listen to it? ;)

Maybe he was just another speculator, and always intended to sell it on Ebay himself. :rolleyes:

He was a COLLECTOR.

Artie also had tons of books he didn't have time to read.

I wonder how many older jazz musicans bought Mosiac sets? :rolleyes:

Great music in that Mosaic set. . . !  Sure wish Universal would consider a comprehensive cd reissue program. . . but know better. :mellow:

Could not agree more. Perhaps Mosaic can be convinced to lease and release the material again on CDs. Since they would be releasing the material on CDs, they would not be exactly going back on their word that they release each set of material only once. Perhaps we can lobby them to do so for some anniversary -- sort of an appreciation to all their loyal supporters/customers.

My recollection is that Mosaic was unable to obtain rights to issue the Commodore material on CD. At the time that Mosaic produced the Commodore boxes, Universal (or GRP or whatever they were calling themselves at the time) had already leased some of the CD reissue rights to a German (?) label called Pair which eventually issued a small number of CDs. Those reissue rights might very well have lapsed in the interim.

However, Universal has subsequently issued several CDs of Commodore material themselves (Lester Young, Pee Wee Russell, Wild Bill Davison, Jelly Roll Morton, Billie Holiday, a 2-cd label overview, and probably some others that are eluding me at the moment (was there a piano collection as well?)). Universal may not be inclined to grant Mosaic rights to the entire Commodore catalogue.

My impression is that similar licensing problems may have interfered with long-rumored attempts by Mosaic to issue the Keynote label recordings on CD. Polygram did an LP box and then issued several CDs that somewhat cherry picked the Keynote material.

Perhaps the chances for Mosaic to obtain rights to Commodore or Keynote material will increase over time as the Universal issues disappear from their catalog.

- Jon

There was a piano collection, and also a tenor that had Byas and Hawkins sides.

Also, I believe nearly all the lp Keynote set was out on cd between US and Japan and European affiliates. . . great stuff.

I think that Universal really isn't that interested in putting more Commodore out on cd, and in fact a few of these may be becoming deleted now. . . . And lately relations between Mosaic and Universal seem downright good. . . (I mean. . .Basie!) Still, somehow I just don't see Mosaic revisiting material they released before even in a different format. . .

My recollection is that Mosaic was unable to obtain rights to issue the Commodore material on CD. At the time that Mosaic produced the Commodore boxes, Universal (or GRP or whatever they were calling themselves at the time) had already leased some of the CD reissue rights to a German (?) label called Pair which eventually issued a small number of CDs. Those reissue rights might very well have lapsed in the interim.

IIRC, Universal did not own Commodore at the time. I believe Mosaic licensed the material from Gabler/Commodore. The Pair cds were a different license with Gabler.

My recollection is that Mosaic was unable to obtain rights to issue the Commodore material on CD.  At the time that Mosaic produced the Commodore boxes, Universal (or GRP or whatever they were calling themselves at the time) had already leased some of the CD reissue rights to a German (?) label called Pair which eventually issued a small number of CDs.  Those reissue rights might very well have lapsed in the interim.

IIRC, Universal did not own Commodore at the time. I believe Mosaic licensed the material from Gabler/Commodore. The Pair cds were a different license with Gabler.

Chuck:

I think you're right. I had forgotten that Gabler still owned the catalog at that time, but I remember hearing that the license to Pair was the reason that Mosaic couldn't get the CD rights when they did the Commodore boxes.

- Jon

I'm back from a brief and interesting tour of the items from the Artie Shaw collection that Atomic has. Rick at Atomic, who went to Shaw's house in Newbury Park, told me about teh experience.

It was being run by an estate liquidator. No heirs mentioned.

He had to get an appointment, and he was allowed one hour (!) to go through the record collection. Also in the house at that time, for example, was someone looking at the books, and someone looking at the art. There was a wall full of African masks, for example.

Rick said that unfortunately he was not the first record buyer in there. He was second. The first one got some real goodies, such as all the original Capitol LP issues of the Beatles albums, all sealed. Also lots of classic Atlantic LPs, still sealed.

One item that he decided not to get was a "never released" Billie Holiday acetate, for which the liquidators wanted $2500. He also said that there were all the various Artie Shaw acetates.

By the time he got there, there were about 1000 records to go through.

Atomic Records does have all three of the Commodore boxes, along with several other Mosaics. Not a huge number. He also obtained lots of Lee Konitz, Warne Marsh, Jimmy Giuffre. Some is already on eBay; others will be next week. A nice Babs Gonzalez side. A sealed 10" of Artie Shaw & the Gramercy Five (already on eBay). The Konitz albums were used. Commodore vol. 1 was open; vol. 2 still sealed.

He showed me the booklet in one of the other Mosaics (and I'm blanking on which.). Instead of a number of an "X" where the set number usually goes, it says "Artie Shaw," as though Mosaic sends out sets regularly to various people and lists their names there. I asked if they might consider selling me a Mosaic without it going to eBay, but he's going to check with his brother.

He had a couple Mosaic CD sets that are missing a CD (Woody Shaw, Taylor/Neidlinger). The Mingus Candid LP set. And a few others as CD sets. The first buyer picked up more.

I just went back to Atomic and asked after the Venuti/Lang box. A closer look revealed that this box was numbered (2537), and Artie Shaw wrote his own name in above that. Two CDs still wrapped, 2 unwrapped, everything there. He offered it to me for $100. I bought it. So there's one that won't be hitting eBay. It's still in print, so the good price. And I did want that box. I'm rather happy, although I really shouldn't be spending money right now.

But you all can still look forward to Vol 1 & 2 of the Commodore Sessions.

Edited by Adam