New reissue of Rollins's "the Bridge"

skeith

I have not heard this new reissue.

It should not be difficult to beat the french 24bit remaster, as this does not improve on the original mid 90's CD release (only brighter, no gain in clarity or dynamics).

Another competitor in term of sound is the Classics gold CD, which sounds much better than the regular CD (warmer, more clarity on the drums)

Guest Mnytime

I disagree. IMO, it's :tup , way up!

I am pretty sure that Jim and Dmitry are being sarcastic. I have a hard time believing either really don't like The Bridge. As much as a fan of Newk that Jim is I have a hard time even believing he has not heard this recording to be asking how good it was.

Actually, THE BRIDGE is my LEAST favorite Rollins RCA album (which is not to say that I don't like it). It's a "classic", sure, and it's very, very good, but I've always had the feeling that Sonny felt the pressure of making a "comeback" album and played it just a little safe, which is not something you can say about any of the other RCAs, or about Sonny in the 60s in general. There's much to admire in THE BRIDGE, but it's the least played Rollins RCA for me.

Sonny's NEXT high profile comeback album, NEXT ALBUM, is another story altogether, but that was a different time and a different Rollins.

Just more bits? That would make no sense at all, because the "bits" describe the remastering process. If an analogue mastertape is taken from the archive, played on the tape machine and digitized in a higher resolution (24bit instead of 16bit), it is called remastering. But more bits does not automatically make the sound better, other factors such as correct equalization are much more important.

This new release of "The Brigde" is said to be mastered from the original 3-track tapes (mixed down to stereo), whereas the previous CDs were made from a stereo mixdown tape.

So it is likely to sound different, because of the new mixdown.

Edited by Claude

JSangrey,

Not sure what you mean by "safe"- I agree it is not "Our Man in Jazz" in terms of outside playing and there are no duck calls like on "Sonny Meets Hawk", and maybe you are referring to the high percentage of classic tunes (standards) on it, but I find Rollins's solos on both "The Bridge" and "John S." to have some remarkably adventurous playing on what many consider to be a sort of ballads album.

And as for the ballads such as "God Bless the Child" or "Where are you", I find the playing to be not safe in this sense, it is some of the most emotionally charged ballad playing I have ever heard. The guy is pouring his heart out and that is never a safe thing to do. The ballads also contain some remarkable intros and cadenzas that express a lot of adventure to me.

My favorite RCAs would be this one, the Standard Sonny Rollins, and the Sonny Meets Hawk.

For those who are fans of this album. I suggest getting the Ralph Gleason t.v. show "Jazz Casual" with the same lineup as the album doing The Bridge, God Bless The Child, ect. Wonderful "LIVE" t.v. of Rollins and co. from this same period. They open with The Bridge and it is a real mind blower... :D