Joey D

sheldonm

I went to see Joey DeFrancesco last night and stayed for both sets. Very good show with lots of energy from the trio of Joey, Byron Landham on drums and a fairly new guitarist, Jake Langley. Lots of smiling :) and laughing :D going on between Joey and Byron all night They were a little late arriving as Joey had issues with his speakers and had to stop at a local dealer to pick up a new pair. This was a tribute show to Jimmy Smith so they played several songs off of the new cd, Legacy. In addition to the title track, they played "When You're Smiling" a nice balled called "I'll Close My Eyes", "I've Got My Mojo Workin'" with Joey on vocals, a 15 minute rendition of "Back Home Again in Indiana" for us "locals" , "Laura" and they finished up the first set with and extended version "Dot Com Blues"

The second set got going with "Love for Sale", a 20 minumte version of "Just Squeeze Me", follow by another three tunes that I didn't recognize and then a great finaly of McGriff's "All About My Girl". During this tune Joey got on his knees on the organ stool and played and then stood on the stool and did the same. If you've never seen a grown man play the B3 with his ass :huh: , let alone a man the size of Joey, it's quite a site to behold B-) .

Mark

Edited by sheldonm

If you've never seen a grown man play the B3 with his ass :huh: , let alone a man the size of Joey, it's quite a site to behold B-) .

Well, Mark, where are the pictures?!?!?

:lol:;):g

well....I photographed during the first set but not the second :( . I will post some images by mid-week. The Jazz Kitchen is much darker than the Jazz Showcase and is tough to shoot in; too many red lights, not enough white; very dim overall!

m-

Two Leslies.  How I wish I could tour with two Leslies.

I'm bummed we couldn't open for him on Saturday.  Anyone here see the show?

Dude, so what happened to the opener?

Due to a very serious and personal tragedy, we had to cancel. The owner, while very excited about having us open, was also very understanding. In fact, he is anxious to have us play his club in the future. We are looking towards all future dates as a chance to heal; nothing does so quite like music.

Respectfully,

Greg Nagy

Organissimo Mgt

Edited by GregN

• 4 weeks later...

Joey DeFrancesco is slated to appear at a local concert series here in Chattanooga September 9. We don't get such jazz here all that often - and you can bet I'll be there.

:excited:

He's in Chicago next week; I'm sure I make at least one show! B-)