Sudden-Thoughts.com back in action...

chuckyd4

Okay, I don't have the time to make a big post right now, but I'm happy to say that after months of inactivity, my site - Sudden Thoughts - is finally back in action. New reviews, articles, live coverage, etc....

But the main reason I'm posting this is that I'm testing out different, more stable programs for webcasting radio.

Was wondering, if anybody here had the time and inclination, if they might check out our humble stream and let me know how it's working from your end.

It is currently broadcasting all kinds of good jazz (at 4:53pm EST on Thursday, April 21st) - I'm gonna leave on a loop for quite a few hours and see how things play out.

Thanks for listening, and let me know how it goes. :bwallace:

Sounds great!

Now I have some idea what my streams sound like at 128kbps too!

Are you running this off of a desktop or a distant server?

Keep it up and encourage others to create their own too!

PS: are you running a playlist somewhere?

(because I don't see one showing up in my iTunes).

Edited by rostasi

Is anyone else having trouble getting connected? There's a big "out of commission" notice on the page, but I didn't know if that had always been there, or if it was put up there just this afternoon. :unsure:

Al,

it had that "out of Commision" earlier today,

but the link that says 'Listen Here" worked for me.

There are limited hours too. Always, up to the guy doing the

personal broadcast.

For me, last night, when there was nobody

listening, I turned down the music to work on something and forgot

to turn it back up (it was 3 AM...), and until about 10 when I got up,

you couldn't hear anything I was playing, so these things happen

(especially when you're dog tired). ;)

Yah guys - thanks so much for checking in! No worries, there was nothing playing by the time you posted (I'm now on European time, so I probably stopped it a little early for those on the other side of the pond :( ).

I was mainly just testing out a new program, and want to thank the folks that did get to hear it - got some good feedback. Once I've got all the little issues sorted out, I'll make sure to post here again and let you know when it's up.

Rostasi - One of the main issues I'm still trying to work out is the playlist issue. With this program, some people (mostly using Winamp, and other PC based programs) were able to see the currently playing track, but unfortunately iTunes doesn't seem to support them. If I can't get that worked out, I will create a space on the site to post them.

I was running it directly from my Powerbook, with a nifty little app called Nicecast. Recommended if you have a Mac and just want to start casting a simple stream.

There's a couple other things I'm looking into - first would be the phenomenon of Podcasting, but I don't really like the sound of my voice compared to this good music :P , and I'm a little confused on the copyright issues with that one.

Secondly, my brother is involved with the development of Netjuke, which recently merged with a cool looking media handler called Jinzora, so I am watching that carefully (I have an "inside contact", as it were :rolleyes: ).... I'm thinking that'll probably be the ultimate route I'll go, but it's not quite ready for the kind of use I'm talking about, I guess. I'll keep you posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I promise not to post in here every single time, but I am pleased to announce that Sudden Thoughts radio is now up and running according to the schedule.

Join us today, Sunday May 1st, anytime from 1pm to 4am (EST) for a show full of avant/free goodies. Tuesday's are today's best jazz, and Thursday's are all the classics.

Follow this link to catch it as it happens.

Also, I am very happy to announce that we now haveplaylists posted to the site, so you can see what it is you're hearing. And if you like it, are thinking about buying it, we of course would appreciate your click throughs.

Thanks so much, and hope to see you over there!

I listened for about two hours yesterday. Nice. A little jealous to see you have an advance copy of the Vijay Iyer CD, but it's about to hit the streets, so I'll get it then.

Eric

Probably belongs in a different part of the forum, but I'm with Nate - I find the Iyer incredible, and my favorite of all the stuff of his I've heard so far. So many levels on that album, it keeps getting better every time I listen to it.