I Have A Band Like Organissimo

Jazz Kat

I am the drummer for the local band, The Sparks. I joined because I was really good friends with the guitar player, and I met the drummer before and he liked me, so when he moved to bass, he wanted me on drums, so my friend, the guitarist told me about it.

Anyways, I was interested in making my own band. With a lot of personell changes, with my friend, the guitar player for The Sparks being the only constant player, besides me. Anyways, the group started off with me on bass and him, (the guitarist) on drums. (he plays drums too) But then we needed a third member, so we found one of our good friends, who was an exceptional drummer, so I put him on the thrown and put my friend where he belonged, on the guitar. Set, right? No. Although he was a good drummer, I didn't feel he was right. So it has been just me and my friend from the Sparks for a while. A couple of other people had told us they would join, but with their busy schedules, they never had a chance to even practice with us! So this whole thing put a damper on all our excitement, mostly mine, of leading my own group.

The band for which I drum for, The Sparks, is basically your average garage band. (Our first song was Sunshine Of Your Love.) Anyways... I needed to play some jazz, so it was my idea to through a lot of jazz in there, but not tell my friend, because if I did, he wouldn't like the idea. But if I don't tell him, and just write a lot of jazz style songs, he'll like it without knowing what kind of music it really is. Weird, I know...

So we were practicing, (just me and him) yesterday. I dont have my bass at the present time, so I was just going to do the bass lines on the keyboard for now. So we're practicing, (I have my keyboard on organ sound) and I throw some right hand in there, to add color. So basically, it all came together for me right there. I would play, "organ," (controlling all the bass lines on my own, as well as solo with my right hand, and all that good stuff. ) I got my friend on guitar, and as soon as we find a drummer willing to play what we are, I'm all set.

It's setup just like Organissimo, organ, guitar, and drums. (well, almost) I'm calling my band, The Backyards. I been real excited bout this the past few hours, and I just wanted to share.

Out...

I'd like to add that I was in my first band when I was about your age. It was a country cover band (I didn't really like country, but they had paying gigs!) and all the members except for me where middle-aged with two or more kids my age. It was funny! :) We used to play beer tents and Fourth of July parties and such!

Did I turn you away by saying that? I'm sorry. So what did you play in your first gig? Was it organ?

No, I'm just running around the house.

Yeah, I played organ in a country band. My poor dad helped me haul around my Hammond M3 (didn't have the B3 yet) since I couldn't drive. I played a little piano on a synth, too. It was a lot of fun!

• 3 weeks later...