Stevie Wonder

Degiorgio

So many great artists have had their greatest albums re-issued on deluxe CD editions or lavish box-sets. As one of America's - if not the worlds - greatest musical talents, I find it very frustrating that none of Stevie's classic albums have recieved this treatment.

It's a known fact that there are many unreleased songs from the classic TONTO period (72-74) - some of which Stevie has performed live or given to other artists (eg. Roberta Flack's 'I Can See the Sun In Late December').

The beautiful ballad 'Feeding Off the Love of the Land' was finally released in the early 90's on a B-side of one of Stevie's singles for Jungle Fever - this came from the TONTO era and if the quality of the other unreleased songs is this good then surely they MUST be released.

Does anybody know if its a contractual issue preventing these albums being revisited, say in the same way What's Going On, Let's Get It On have been done in deluxe editions by Universal?

A box set of the TONTO era with unreleased/concert material would top my wish list for a future release.

Is this likely??

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything unreleased from that period should be OUT

well, exactly - so the real question is WHY haven't the vaults been raided by Universal for this material? Expanded editions of any of those TONTO era albums would be major MAJOR sellers so I'm sure its not lack of willingness on behalf of the label... does Stevie have approval rights?

"So this is where all that sound comes from?"

yep - that's TONTO. Belonged at that time to engineer/producers Robert Margouleff & Malcolm Cecil (British jazz-bass player). I believe Stevie first heard it on a visit to Electric Lady studios in 1971 when it was being used on a Richie Havens session (which must be 'In These Flames' on The Great Blind Degree as its the only Havens song I know with TONTO credited).

TONTO was basically an expanded Moog Modular with added ARP and Serge modules. With programming by Margouleff & Cecil, TONTO enabled Stevie to play all basslines, brass, string lines, etc on Music Of My Mind. This setup stayed until Fulfillingness' First Finale - after which Margouleff & Cecil ceased working with Stevie and went over to engineer the classic Isley Bros albums of the mid-70's.

For me - the 4 albums Stevie made with this setup represent the pinnacle of soul-pop of any era.

Thinking in comparable pop terms - has any of the then-unreleased "prime-era" material by The Beatles & The Beach Boys proven to be of such a quality that it would enhance the original albums? I don't think so. It's cool on its own terms, and its great stuff to have and to hear for "deep" fans, but the original albums stand as originally issued, and for good reason. If there is in fact worthy-enough material from this period of Stevie's career, I'd like to see it released, but seperately from those classic albums.

I do have those Deluxe Edition Marvin Gaye things, but I keep a copy of the original album as well. Those Deluxe Editions are way cool, but when you just want to hear the "real deal", hey...

I do believe that Stevie probably still has at least some control over his material from this period.

So I guess "over the friggin' top" is the order of the day.

Just based upon just those 4 albums it wouldn't be 'over the friggin' top'. But factor in Songs In the Key of Life, Hotter Than July, songs of utter originality and beauty for artists like Minnie Riperton, Ramsey Lewis, Smokey Robinson, Syreeta, Michael Jackson, Roberta Flack and despite all the cheesy abominations of late I still think Stevie is up there with the greatest musical talents of all time. Easy...

:wub:

So I guess "over the friggin' top" is the order of the day.

Just based upon just those 4 albums it wouldn't be 'over the friggin' top'. But factor in Songs In the Key of Life, Hotter Than July, songs of utter originality and beauty for artists like Minnie Riperton, Ramsey Lewis, Smokey Robinson, Syreeta, Michael Jackson, Roberta Flack and despite all the cheesy abominations of late I still think Stevie is up there with the greatest musical talents of all time. Easy...

:wub:

B-)

Guess i been in the wrong place.

If there is in fact worthy-enough material from this period of Stevie's career, I'd like to see it released, but seperately from those classic albums.

yes, I have no problem with that... the Marvin deluxe sets do have the original album programme and then follow it with additional stuff.. that format seems the best way...

I do believe that Stevie probably still has at least some control over his material from this period.

I suspect you are right...

I don't think it's over the top to call Stevie Wonder one of the true geniuses of music... right up there with Ellington, Coltrane, etc. in my book.

considering Stevie's age when he wrote, arranged, played every instrument on and produced those albums and it becomes even more staggering.

I don't think it's over the top to call Stevie Wonder one of the true geniuses of music... right up there with Ellington, Coltrane, etc. in my book.

considering Stevie's age when he wrote, arranged, played every instrument on and produced those albums and it becomes even more staggering.

I can't even begin to imagine such talent.

Are you Jazz Kat?

Edited by Chuck Nessa

I don't think it's unreasonable to consider "classic" Wonder alongside the "popular" Ellington. And that, in and of itself, is not insignificant.

Beyond that, though, excuse me if I extricate myself from the debate to go make me a sammich. :g

We live in very different worlds.

Yes we do.

Damn it Chuck, now you've done gone and stirred the militant independent artistic impulse.

You never learn, do you... :g:g:g:g:g

Beyond that, though, excuse me if I extricate myself from the debate to go make me a sammich.

well the debate I hoped to spark was purely whether there was much chance of this material being revisited 'deluxe edition stylee'... I certainly never expected to debate whether Stevie Wonder is a genius or not...

maybe I'm wrong.. maybe its just a 'vision in my mind' ;)

I believe in music. I love GREAT music. I really like music with aspirations toward greatness. Always like a "near miss".

All sorts of popular, nostalgic and "warm" crap intrudes and dilutes the stuff along the way. Some "popular music" is "good music" and some might be "great music" but most is just high quality pop music.

Nothing wrong with that.

I believe Stevie is high quality pop music for a decade. Nothing to sneeze at if you lived through that decade.

well the debate I hoped to spark was purely whether there was much chance of this material being revisited 'deluxe edition stylee'... I certainly never expected to debate whether Stevie Wonder is a genius or not...

To Part A - my guess (and a guess is all it is) is not anytime soon, as long as Stevie (probably) retains "creative control". A seperate release of vault material, though, might be possible at some point (again, strictly a guess...), and would certainly be welcomed.

To Part B- Welcome to Organissimo. Shit like this is the order of the day. A Stanley Crouch interview concerning Sonny Rollins turns into a debate over the merits of the RIAA Gold Certification. And then turns into something else. Etc. Etc. Etc.

You've now been officially warned! :g;)

Edited by JSngry