Wedding planning

blake

I'm engaged. It's been a little over a month and I do enjoy typing it. I'm engaged! I'm engaged!

The wedding is August 27th in Colorado Springs. We've hired a string quartet (members of the Denver Symphony Orchestra) to play the ceremony and the cocktail portion of the reception and a classical guitarist to play during dinner and cake cutting. Still on our want list is a band to play for a couple hours at the end of the evening to give the people something to dance to.

My fiancée's preference is a steady dose of 80's Cure, New Order and Depeche Mode (supplemented with disco). And while watching my grandparents dance to Boys Don't Cry and Blue Monday at my sister's wedding did put a smile on my face I'm not sure we need to do it again. Ultimately, we agreed to look for a band to play a healthy mix of Stax/Volt soul, Motown and 60's Atlantic/Rhino R&B (Ray Charles, Otis Redding, etc.).

We live in Dallas and don't have any musical connections in Colorado. And our Colorado-based wedding planner has yet to hit the mark (I think one of bands she referred is called "Mystic Rain").

Does anyone here have any suggestions? Is anyone interested in the gig?

Hey, congratulations!!!! Yes, Root Doctor would probably be exactly what you want, but I don't know if you're willing to front the bread to get us out to Colorado! That's quite the haul. But we are flexable. Shoot me a PM.

We play a mix of classic R&B, old school funk, pop, blues, and originals. The lead singer has a voice like gold. He can sing anything from The Temptations to Muddy Waters to Queen (we did a Queen tune, by request, at a wedding this past weekend) with equal flair. He's something else.

Jim, you along with Neal Evans have been my main influence tonight. I was practicing with my band tonight. We recorded four tracks. The first one was funky, and the other three were very bluesy and we got so into it. I have it on tape and we have been very happy with it. We have ourself a little website and I just up-dated it, I have been real jazzed.

My mom thought we were playing an actual see-dee during the playback. The drummer who I have a had a big problem with liking good music, :g , said something good to me at the end of the session. "It's not too jazzy, its just bluesy, and funky and progressive." I liked it, although it was a little sloppy. We did every song twice. Once to practice then another time to record. We both agreed it was better the first we did it. So once we get it tight, and we find a studio, I'm ready to start recording for real.

Edited by Jazz Kat

We live in Dallas and don't have any musical connections in Colorado.

Does anyone here have any suggestions? Is anyone interested in the gig?

Blake,

Hey, on your way out of Dallas, why not pick up those cats in Quartet Out and have them play your gig?

If they play their "regular" stuff, I'd be willing to bet your guests would speak fondly of your wedding reception for years to come! :g

Cheers,

Shane

First - congratulations!

I don't know whether this would work, given what you already have planned.

When my wife and I got married, we worked out a compromise to suit her tastes and mine. Her musical tastes are more mainstream than mine (to put it nicely), so we hired a dj to play the stuff that she wanted to listen and dance to. I got a friend who's a bassist to put together a trio of good jazz musicians (him, piano, and drums) to play standards for older folks to dance to, and to play Bird, Monk, etc. for me to listen to. (The musicians still joke that I was more interested in hanging with the musicians than in cutting the wedding cake - my wife had to drag me away.) We were older when we married so there were a fair number of older people attending.

Whatever you do, I hope that you both have a good time at your wedding.