Joe Henderson - McCoy Tyner

Uncle Skid

I've been on both a McCoy Tyner and Joe Henderson kick lately (separately), and recently discovered that many of my favorite discs feature both of them!

Here's the titles that I currently have -- what am I missing? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Joe Henderson - In 'N Out

Joe Henderson - Inner Urge

Joe Henderson - Page One

McCoy Tyner - The Real McCoy

Bobby Hutcherson - Stick-Up!

Grant Green - Solid

Well, pretty much anything and everything they played on together in the 60's is worth getting. Not sure off the top of my head what else there is besides those you listed, but it's ALL good. Then there's this one from 1991...

75027.jpg

Link: New York Reunion

It's a little too "every musician in their own, separate, enclosed sound booth" for my tastes -- but there's much to like about it too. It's not that it's the least bit bad -- but somehow, I always wish it had much more of a "live" feel. Everyone plays well, but it's all just a little "too perfect" sounding, if you know what I mean.

Get everything they're both on from the 60's first.

Edit: I see sal beat me to the punch by a few seconds. ^_^

Edited by Rooster_Ties

New York Reunin is certainly not my fave Tyner disc, but I have to give a :tup to it ... some of the playing sounds a little "sterile," but I kind of thought maybe the recording itself was part of the prob ... wasn't this some kind of specially mastered/produced/whatever disc or something? (I'm not much of an audiophile ... )

Thanks for the info!

I'll definitely add DelightfuLee to the want list, not so sure about New York Reunion. Looks like the Morgan title is a bit hard to find these days; I assume it's OOP.

f76092dk7d7.jpg

Flora Purim - Encounter (Milestone M 9077; Fantasy OJCCD 798-2)

Raul De Souza (tb) Hermeto Pascoal (fl) Joe Henderson (ts) George Duke, McCoy Tyner (p) Ron Carter, Alphonso Johnson, Byron Miller (b) Leon "Ndugu" Chancler (d) Airto Moreira (per) Googie Coppola, Urszula Dudziak, Flora Purim (vo)

(information is from Jazz Discography Project)

Anybody heard this one? It's not clear from the discography if Tyner and Henderson are actually playing together on any of the tracks.