Cecil Taylor - Nefertiti the beautiful has come

king ubu

I just received the Revenant 2CD edition of Taylor. Great great music!

The question I have is: what's the deal about the ghost tracks at the end of each disc? Why are they not noted on the cover? Why is the total time given on the OBI-strip (or whatever this is called) not including these?

AMG gives them as "Call" (CD1) and "D Trad That's What" (CD2). A site which seems more reliable than AMG (Cecil Taylor Discography) gives them as "Call" and "Untitled Sample".

Anyone knows more?

thanks!

ubu

Guest Mnytime

This is one question I can answer since I was the one that made the discovery. I posted about this back on the Blue Note BBS when I made my first of two Cecil Taylor discoveries. :g

In terms of the silent tracks they where added for unknown reasons by Revenant.

Up until my extremely small discovery the two tracks in question at the end of each disc have been called "Untitled".

The track on the first disc is:

Call (second version)

The track on the second disc is

D Trad That's What (Second Version)

I sent emails about this to AMG and all the Cecil Taylor Discography’s I could find and Revenant. Revenant informed me that if they press anymore future versions they will include the track titles.

It took several emails to AMG for them just to make any change at all.

My second extremely small Cecil Taylor related discovery I made was the defective duplicate 7th disc on the Feel Trio Box 2 T's for a lovely T.

Edited by Mnytime

Guest Chaney

My second extremely small Cecil Taylor related discovery I made was the defective duplicate 7th disc on the Feel Trio Box 2 T's for a lovely T.

and the story continues...

Acting upon this discovery, I -- perhaps a mere footnote in this great saga and acting as the trusted sidekick to one Mnytime -- phoned the Molemen alerting them to this outrage, stopping the presses and righting a great wrong before the damage could spread throughout this blue marble that we call home.

Good times... good times...

:)

Guest Mnytime

And I appreciate your calling. :tup:tup:D:D

They were not believing me when it was only me calling them. They would not even open one to listen to the 2nd and 7th discs. They kept telling me I was the only one complaining. I kept going back and listening to make sure I was hearing what I was hearing. And that I was not :wacko:

I wonder how many others that saw my warnings called in?

The thing that really bugs me about the whole mess is that with all the delay involved it ended up costing us all extra. With the 4 month delay from when most of us ordered and expected to get this box to when it was finally delivered it cost an extra $40-$45 U.S.

Than to find that one of the discs was a duplicate after all that wait and extra money. And have to wait another 3 months to get the corrected Disc. :rmad::rmad:

In the process Mole Jazz never responding to emails forcing you to call long distance so you find out what was going on.

Edited by Mnytime

When Revenant licensed the material the masters they received were dubs from vinyl. They were unhappy about this and used Japanese cds issued by Tokuma as source material. The Japanese cds had the extra material. Revenant had already printed the packages and elected to use them rather than take a loss on the printing.

Guest Mnytime

When Revenant licensed the material the masters they received were dubs from vinyl. They were unhappy about this and used Japanese cds issued by Tokuma as source material. The Japanese cds had the extra material. Revenant had already printed the packages and elected to use them rather than take a loss on the printing.

Thanks Chuck.

I never got a reply from Revenant for the reason why even the usual Untitled was not included.

Do you have any idea why the silent 5th tracks where placed on the Japanese CDs that they used as the source material or why Revenant left them in?

Edited by Mnytime

• 2 years later...

I saw this on vinyl at a local shop today. Does anyone know anything about this, in terms of source tapes? Is it digital or analog?

Certainly from xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo. :)

Save your money for other stuff you don't have.

well, thats just it- I don't have it at all, and it appears that the vinyl may be cheaper than the CD

I saw this on vinyl at a local shop today. Does anyone know anything about this, in terms of source tapes? Is it digital or analog?

Certainly from xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo. :)

Save your money for other stuff you don't have.

well, thats just it- I don't have it at all, and it appears that the vinyl may be cheaper than the CD

That's different...you MUST have this music!