Buddy De Franco Plays Artie Shaw

Brad

Stardust / Cross Your Heart / Frenesi:

October 31, 1957, LA Ray Linn (tp), Buddy DeFranco (cl), Paul Smith (p), Barney Kessel (g), Joe Mondragon (b), Milt Holland (d)

Medley Dancing In the Dark etc / Indian Love Call / Summit Ridge Drive:

October 31, 1957, LA Ray Linn (tp), Buddy DeFranco (cl), Paul Smith (p), Howard Roberts (g), Joe Mondragon (b), Milt Holland (d)

Keeping Myself For You / My Heart Stood Still / Medley It Could Happen To You etc / Concerto For Clarinet:

November 1, 1957, LA Ray Linn (tp), Buddy DeFranco (cl), Jimmy Rowles (p), Barney Kessel (g), Joe Mondragon (b), Alvin Stoller (d)

A question about this record. On various cuts, it sounds like there's a harpsichord (or maybe the pianist is getting the piano to play like that) but it sounds unusual.

That's Paul Smith (listed as Irving Garner on the original LP) playing harpsichord.

A question about this record.  On various cuts, it sounds like there's a harpsichord (or maybe the pianist is getting the piano to play like that) but it sounds unusual.

That's Paul Smith (listed as Irving Garner on the original LP) playing harpsichord.

The only other harpsichord I've heard jazz wise is Artie Shaw's Grammercy Five Sessions. There it sounded ok. Here, I would have preferred piano.

• 1 month later...

Thank you all very much.  I bought this through Verve on iTunes but couldn't find any discographical info (even searched the web so Mike wouldn't jump on me :g)

hi could you let me know how I find this web page and how I purchase this album

regards

Start here

http://www.vervemusicgroup.com/series.aspx...ob=bf&src=vault

or it may be safer/cheaper to start here

http://www.vervemusicgroup.com/product.asp...c=srs&pid=11209

You'll have to download iTunes I believe, unless you have it. . . . That's something I've never done because my iMac and my iBook both come equipted with iTunes.

This is a nice little album. I found a vinyl copy a few years back, and thoroughly enjoyed it when I had a working turntable. Cool to know that it's available in digital format, I'll have to investigate.

Too bad Verve isn't doing more with the great DeFranco that's available in their vaults. He's really underrepresented by in print albums.

PS... does anybody know how proprietary the iTunes store stuff is?  I really haven't used it before, but I'm wondering if I'd be able to burn a copy onto CD and then play that CD in any normal stereo?

I've downloaded a few Verve albums from iTunes and have had no problem making a cd-r and playing it on several different cd players. I use a G-5 iMac (had no problem importing the recent UK copy-controlled version of the RVG Basra, either :w ).