Grill Gear

It's that time again! Of course in AZ it's too hot to grill when the sun is out. <_<

Gas or Charcoal?

Charcoal and wood are best for flavor, but it's tough to beat the ease of a gas grill.

I've got one of each, and will be upgrading when I move later this summer.

The classic... :wub:

WeberGrill.jpg

plus, an older version similar to this one.

018198612466838803.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can find it, I highly recommend instead of using a charcoal like Kingsford, look for EL Diablo Mesquite Charcoal. The stuff is from Mexico. I find it at a store here called Sprouts.

It smokes and pops like a son of a bitch, but the results are well worth it.

-Weber gas grill, for quick grilling.

-Weber kettle, which I use a lot in the summer. I separate the coals and use it to slow cook and smoke(short term).

cg_ot_g225_195.jpg

-water smoker- for longer projects (did a brisket yesterday- I think I've finally got brisket figured out- came out not too dry with a beautiful pink ring)

I use one of those chimney charcoal starters (with the paraffin cubes). It works great and is FAST! No more lighter fluid for me.

Lots of different wood chips- hickory, mesquite, apple, cherry, pecan and my latest favorite is those Jack Daniel's smoking chips- they chop up the oak barrels! They're excellent- just the right amount of flavor, not overpowering.

I go back and forth between dry rubs and marinating. Currently I'm more of a fan of the former.

Have you guys done the beer can chicken? Mighty tasty.

Edited by Free For All

It's easier if you get one of those holders to put it on. It's a little tricky to balance it on the can, plus I've heard some say the ink on some cans shouldn't be heated like that- not sure why.

I use one of these:

16128_lg.jpg

Fill the receptacle with beer (or whatever), set the spaceship thingie on top of the receptacle and then set the bird on it. Put the plug in the top of the chicken to keep the steam inside the bird.

You should plug the top of the bird- you can use a potato or something like that. Otherwise the steam escapes too quickly.

Edited by Free For All

No gas for me. What's the point?

Used a Weber kettle for years until it finally fell apart. The mother-in-law offered to buy us a Big Green Egg (after a few hints had been dropped), and we took her up on her offer.

Damn fine thing, the Big Green Egg is. :tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

I have a father in law to grill for me. It's his hobby, so why bother to take over. He runs a self-made stainless steal big ass solid ditty and has an even bigger asser solider one up the sleeve if the party gets too big. Smokes fish too. Salmon season, yumm!!

All according to ancient German recipe: A LOT + beer.

edit: + Schnapps!

Edited by couw

Here's my plan for the board BBQ/mini jazz fest:

We gather at an appropriate site- I'm thinking an outdoor location, preferably where the weather's reasonable. We have a (covered) stage and live music- Organissimo, Quartet Out and any other groups that currently exist (or are specifically assembled) of board members, or friends thereof. There might need to be a bit of a jam session to accomodate the various "loose cannons". :crazy:

Board members will also be manning the grills and concocting their best grill creations. Libations, every sort of grilled food known to man (and woman), lots of dessert stuff (like those lemon bars...mmmmmm).

Music the whole time. Frisbees. Water balloons. Kids 'n dogs runnin' around. Chuck giving Jazz Kat noogies. Drunken brawls. Sparklers. M-80s. Emergency rooms. Lawsuits. A big fun hang. :rsmile:

The "realist" that has begun to inhabit me in the last 5 years or so (much to my dismay) knows there's probably no way in hell this could ever happen, but it's still fun to dream. :)

Here's my plan for the board BBQ/mini jazz fest:

We gather at an appropriate site- I'm thinking an outdoor location, preferably where the weather's reasonable. We have a (covered) stage and live music- Organissimo, Quartet Out and any other groups that currently exist (or are specifically assembled) of board members, or friends thereof. There might need to be a bit of a jam session to accomodate the various "loose cannons". :crazy:

Board members will also be manning the grills and concocting their best grill creations. Libations, every sort of grilled food known to man (and woman), lots of dessert stuff (like those lemon bars...mmmmmm)...

threehea.jpg

Oh, NOT lemon bars!