The Lebron James Draft

Guest Mnytime

I don't understand Minn picks. They haven't had a first round pick in 3 years since the Joe Smith fiasco. They are not going to get another first round pick for another 2 years so they really needed players that can help them now.

So they pick a High School kid who won't be helping them for a few years at the least and their other pick is already being called a bust. :wacko:

On top of that they traded Joe Smith for Sam Cassell. They don't need another PG. Troy Hudson showed he can hold his own. They needed a real 4 to play next to KG.

Troy Hudson showed he could score when he takes enough shots ... He didn't prove anything as a point guard. He is a below-average ballhandler and made several horrible decisions during the Lakers series, opting for low-percentage fadeaway jump shots over called-in plays. Cassell will be an upgrade both as a playmaker and as a scorer.

Maybe Michael Jordan is making the T Wolves personnel decisions too.

It is the Bucks Jordan is supposed to be buying, which brings up another strange pick. Why anyone would draft a short PG that can't shoot to save his or his mother's life is beyond me to figure out. They traded Cassell to make room for him and it most likely means that Gary Payton is coming back as well.

Though I would have loved to see Payton on the Lakers. ;)

The Bucks have good spot-up shooters and having a quick point guard who can penetrate and make good decisions in transition is especially valuable to such a team. T. J. Ford needs to get stronger to defend against bigger guys he will face night in and night out, but I doubt shooting percentage will be one of his problems.

Guest Mnytime

But Hudson is still young and learning so you expect mistakes. Cassell is not only older but is not exactly known as a team player. I see causing more headaches than helping anything.

But Hudson is still young and learning so you expect mistakes. Cassell is not only older but is not exactly known as a team player. I see causing more headaches than helping anything.

I agree with your point about Cassell being difficult, but I'm not sure if Hudson has much to improve. He may get better stats ... but at age 27 I think he has pretty much reached the proverbial ceiling.

• 19 years later...

Bron did it. I had never thought I would see the day anyone would break Kareem’s scoring record. But it’s here. 

For me, Jordan is still the GOAT (and my favourite player is Larry Bird), but Lebron’s individual achievements are incredible, and his capacity to improve over time, to adapt himself to the evolution of the game, and to strengthen his body are awesome. 

I woke up at 4 am for the party. Watching Kareem passing the ball to Lebron was very emotional.

Now… let’s get back to the game… Go Celtics!!!

On 6/28/2003 at 2:38 PM, Jim Alfredson said:

Is Detroit trying to be the next Sacramento? First they take Darko (no big surprise there and a good pick) 

Jim, you want a redo on this one?  Next three players picked after Darko were Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, and Dwayne Wade.

3 hours ago, Jim Alfredson said:

Funny, I stopped watching the NBA in 2005. Yes, that Darko pick turned out to be horrible.

I find the whole draft/trade/free agency process of putting teams together much more interesting than the games themselves.  I am glued to the set on draft night, but don't actually watch much in the way of games apart from some Sixers playoff games.  Watching Big 5 (Penn/Villanova/Temple/St. Joe's/Lasalle) college games at the Palestra when I was younger was a rush that the NBA has never come close to for me.