The Lebron James Draft

Guest Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

ESPN starts their coverage I believe at 7pm EST, 4PM PST today.

So any chance Cleveland passes on Lebron? Myself I think the Pistons and Nuggets actually will get better players.

By the way, I really don't understand how some people are comparing James and Anthony coming into the NBA to Magic and Bird. :wacko::wacko:

Are you serious? I haven't heard anything about Anthony (although I'm not the NBA fan that I used to be) but comparing James, no matter how good of a high school player he was, to either of those two legends is ridiculous. This high school to the NBA stuff is VERY risky, no matter how high you're supposed to go (I see James did indeed go no. 1). Although I guess for Lebron he's OK because of the endorsement deal. BUT, on a strictly basketball/playing with the big boys basis, for every Kobe and KG there's thousands of guys who never really get off the bench, so to speak. I wish Lebron the best, but I hope he doesn't take the hype too seriously, and hope he invests that Nike money. :wacko:

Guest Mnytime

Just to show you how idiotic the hyperbole has gotten about James. When James was drafted one of the former NBA failure talking heads said "That James would be a HOF player if not injured." :wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

One of the other former failures claimed that he was the best passing big guard since Magic to enter the NBA. :wacko::wacko::wacko: Nothing I saw of this kids passing reminded me of Magic. :blink::blink::blink:

Yea they have been comparing James and Anthony coming in together to the NBA to when Magic and Bird came in together.

Of the two I think Anthony has shown at least he can compete with better talent as he did in College. Cleveland from what I understand is going to try to turn James into a PG. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I really don't like the Lakers picks. Especially Bill Walton's son Luke as their 2nd round pick. :eye: All he is a more athletic Mark Madsen, which really is not that hard to accomplish.

Edited by Mnytime

I wish Lebron the best, but I hope he doesn't take the hype too seriously, and hope he invests that Nike money. :wacko:

On ESPN James said he would split his loyalties between his new team and Nike 50/50. :blink:

That's surprising, Catesta, I figured he'd be leaning moreso in Nike's favor, maybe to the tune of 80-20 or 90-10. :rhappy:

I really don't like the Lakers picks. Especially Bill Walton's son Luke as their 2nd round pick. :eye: All he is a more athletic Mark Madsen, which really is not that hard to accomplish.

Mnytime, although I agree with some of your other comments, I have to disagree about this one. I'm not ready to predict great things for Walton in the NBA (and certainly not right away), but your Madsen comparison is off target, IMO. It's not that Walton is "more athletic" than Madsen. He's a far more skilled (especially with the ball in his hands) and well-rounded basketball player. Madsen is all about tenacity and energy under the hoop. Walton is all about finesse (footwork, positioning, passing skill, shooting with either hand, etc), and can do things away from the basket (shooting, passing) that Madsen can't. He understands the team game very well, and he's far more talented and versatile than Madsen. And this is coming from a Stanford fan! :)

Having said that, and as good as I think Luke was as an NCAA player, he may take awhile to adjust to the speed of the NBA game.

Guest Mnytime

I really don't like the Lakers picks.  Especially Bill Walton's son Luke as their 2nd round pick.   :eye:  All he is a more athletic Mark Madsen, which really is not that hard to accomplish.

Mnytime, although I agree with some of your other comments, I have to disagree about this one. I'm not ready to predict great things for Walton in the NBA (and certainly not right away), but your Madsen comparison is off target, IMO. It's not that Walton is "more athletic" than Madsen. He's a far more skilled (especially with the ball in his hands) and well-rounded basketball player. Madsen is all about tenacity and energy under the hoop. Walton is all about finesse (footwork, positioning, passing skill, shooting with either hand, etc), and can do things away from the basket (shooting, passing) that Madsen can't. He understands the team game very well, and he's far more talented and versatile than Madsen. And this is coming from a Stanford fan! :)

Having said that, and as good as I think Luke was as an NCAA player, he may take awhile to adjust to the speed of the NBA game.

Guess we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one as well. ;)

Though your comments do come across as you are saying in a more eleborate way that Walton is more athletic than Madsen. ;)

The reason Madsen is all about tenacity and energy is because he is as athletic as a corpse. :g He has not other option but being a poor mans Kurt Rambis. ;) Though Madsen does make Rambis look like Elgin Baylor. :g

Edited by Mnytime

As a Laker fan, the Walton selection is not anything to jump up and down about. From what I gather he inherited his old man's injury-prone feet and ankles. Madsen is so non-existent on offense that Luke might fit in better on that end, but defensively I bet he'll get victimized. That is, if Phil gives him any minutes.

This Cook kid, on the other hand, averaged 20 and 10 his senior year and was Big 10 Player Of The Year. Not too shabby.

Guest Mnytime

As a Laker fan, the Walton selection is not anything to jump up and down about.  From what I gather he inherited his old man's injury-prone feet and ankles.  Madsen is so non-existent on offense that Luke might fit in better on that end, but defensively I bet he'll get victimized.  That is, if Phil gives him any minutes.

This Cook kid, on the other hand, averaged 20 and 10 his senior year and was Big 10 Player Of The Year.  Not too shabby.

Yea, but Cook also has a rep as being soft. He does have lottery talent but I do not know about the desire part.

Another thing, the Big Ten really isn't what it used to be these days.

Edited by Mnytime

Though your comments do come across as you are saying in a more eleborate way that Walton is more athletic than Madsen. ;)

Mnytime,

In basketball, "athletecism" refers to a guy who has some combination of the following: great leaping ability; great speed; great strength; etc. The ability to read the game, shoot, pass, set screens, hone one's footwork, know positioning, etc are not associated with the term "athletecism".

Don't worry, keep posting around here about sports questions and we'll get you straightened out. :g

Guest Mnytime

Mnytime,

In basketball, "athletecism" refers to a guy who has some combination of the following: great leaping ability; great speed; great strength; etc. The ability to read the game, shoot, pass, set screens, hone one's footwork, know positioning, etc are not associated with the term "athletecism".

Don't worry, keep posting around here about sports questions and we'll get you straightened out. :g

I have played against both Madsen and Walton in pick-up games and while Walton is better it's not much better. Another thing if Walton can't even D up me I don't who the hell he is going to play Defense against in the Pro's. Maybe he will be able to stop the bench after all wood is more stiff than even Madsen. :g

I will admit this was 2 years ago in the case of Walton, but from what I have seen of him on TV, I haven't seen much improvement.

Edited by Mnytime

I have played against both Madsen and Walton in pick-up games and while Walton is better it's not much better. Another thing if Walton can't even D up me I don't who the hell he is going to play Defense against in the Pro's. Maybe he will be able to stop the bench after all wood is more stiff than even Madsen. :g

I will admit this was 2 years ago in the case of Walton, but from what I have seen of him on TV, I haven't seen much improvement.

Impressive Mny.

Any possibility however that "D" is neglected in pick up games? Doesn't that kinda take a bit of work, and players aren't likely to do that sort of thing when having fun?

BTW, I am not a basketball fan, and I don't know the players in question here. I am just bringing up a point.

Guest Mnytime

This is what Chris Ford has to say about Walton. Can someone explain to me why anytime they are talking about a white player they bring up comments like this?

"Phil Jackson likes smart players and there's no one smarter than Walton in this draft."

I can't recall the last time I saw something like this said about a Black Athlete that could really play. It's always their athletic skills that get mentioned as if they were otherwise stupid and made up for it with their athletic ability. :rolleyes:

By the way, notice nothing is said about Walton's actual athletic skills. ;)

Edited by Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

I don't understand Minn picks. They haven't had a first round pick in 3 years since the Joe Smith fiasco. They are not going to get another first round pick for another 2 years so they really needed players that can help them now.

So they pick a High School kid who won't be helping them for a few years at the least and their other pick is already being called a bust. :wacko:

On top of that they traded Joe Smith for Sam Cassell. They don't need another PG. Troy Hudson showed he can hold his own. They needed a real 4 to play next to KG.

Edited by Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

I also don't understand what Jerry West did. He basically traded away 2 first round picks to get 2 guys that belonged in the 2nd round. What's even stranger these two players play positions that Memphis is swamped with already.

Every 3-4 years West has these type of crazy drafts.

Edited by Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

Maybe Michael Jordan is making the T Wolves personnel decisions too.

It is the Bucks Jordan is supposed to be buying, which brings up another strange pick. Why anyone would draft a short PG that can't shoot to save his or his mother's life is beyond me to figure out. They traded Cassell to make room for him and it most likely means that Gary Payton is coming back as well.

Though I would have loved to see Payton on the Lakers. ;)

Maybe Michael Jordan is making the T Wolves personnel decisions too.

It is the Bucks Jordan is supposed to be buying, which brings up another strange pick. Why anyone would draft a short PG that can't shoot to save his or his mother's life is beyond me to figure out. They traded Cassell to make room for him and it most likely means that Gary Payton is coming back as well.

Though I would have loved to see Payton on the Lakers. ;)

I know I was just being a smart ass.Seriously though I think Jordan may be in over his head on this one.