Before & after w/ Misha Mengelberg

Take a look at this interview. I find Mengelberg the most entertaining and informative interviewee around. He is candid, outrageous, and interesting the way that Artie Shaw used to be. Except perhaps more so. And I find myself agreeing with him about late Ellington, late Cecil Taylor, Dave Holland.

Take a look at this interview.  I find Mengelberg the most entertaining and informative interviewee around.  He is candid, outrageous, and interesting the way that Artie Shaw used to be.  Except perhaps more so.  And I find myself agreeing with him about late Ellington, late Cecil Taylor, Dave Holland.

Especially the Dave Holland!

Take a look at this interview.  I find Mengelberg the most entertaining and informative interviewee around.  He is candid, outrageous, and interesting the way that Artie Shaw used to be.  Except perhaps more so.  And I find myself agreeing with him about late Ellington, late Cecil Taylor, Dave Holland.

Somehow I've neglected to check in with JazzTimes for many months. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I just listened to/read the first three Mengelberg clips. Very cool. Very refreshing.

Somehow I've neglected to check in with JazzTimes for many months.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  I just listened to/read the first three Mengelberg clips.  Very cool.  Very refreshing.

You haven't missed much. This is the first issue I've wanted to pick up in some time. Same for Downbeat, which by the way has a nice article on Hank Jones.

Edited by mgraham333

I saw Mengelberg do a solo piano concert a couple of weeks back...one of the most uninvolving concerts I've ever attended. People were leaving in droves...and you're talking an audience at a festival normally up for anything thrown at them.

Michiel Braam played later that night with his 13-tet (!) - Bik Bent Braam - and brought the house down. Fantastic concert.

That Mengelberg solo recital was the second time I've seen him. The first was years ago with the ICP Orchestra (Bennick etc) on a Canadian tour. Each performance has left me scratching my head somewhat. Very much a 'stream of consciousness' grab-bag, which is pretty well as he described it before the performance at Bath.

That Mengelberg solo recital was the second time I've seen him. The first was years ago with the ICP Orchestra (Bennick etc) on a Canadian tour. Each performance has left me scratching my head somewhat. Very much a 'stream of consciousness' grab-bag, which is pretty well as he described it before the performance at Bath.

I must admit within ten minutes I was counting the light bulbs - something I normally only do when invigilating exams (I normally then compare my answers with the students who were sitting the exams!!!).

Actually, in the Guildhall it was the glass bits on the chandeliers.

317, by the way.