Earl Klugh: Living Inside Your Love

CJ Shearn

I got this today, b/c its an album I always liked on vinyl as a kid. I don't like any other Earl Klugh records, but this one has grit and substance for me on tunes like "I Heard It Through The Grapevine", "Captain Caribe" and I think "Another Time, Another Place" is a very pretty tune. Any other ppl like this album from the horrible era of Blue Note? would I be into "Earl Klugh" or is this enough?

Remember how Earl Klugh was once George Benson's protege? This was pre-Breezin'

There was one Klugh album where he did a straight-ahead version of "Bewithched", the TV theme. Nothing special other than it shows that he had those type of chops, and also shows why Benson took him under his wing.

Sometimes I think there's not enough music, but too many people to play it. Or vice versa.

I've always loved the Earl Klugh LP "Magic In Your Eyes," from 1979, and still play it often on my iPod. He just gets a gorgeous sound from his acoustic guitar, the arrangements are of their time (quasi-Bob James, hint of disco) but never overbearing, and, yes, I do consider it jazz of a sort. He does a very pretty version of "Cast Your Fate To The Wind" here. I recommend checking it out.

thanks for the tip mjzee, but I think I'll stick with "Living", its just a nice little break from having a collection like most of us of just burning stuff. Is Steve Gadd on that "Magic" album? I guess thats another reason why I picked up "Living Inside Your Love" again, for those Gadd grooves.

Guest akanalog

i dont like gadd's grooves. especially with will lee on bass.

but another oky klugh moment is on mccoy tyner's "inner voices".

somehow-well thans to the way it was recorded-klugh is able to hang with the power of tyner and eric gravatt or jack dejohnette.