"Chill" Music???

He's talking a bunch of marketing spin, but I'd rather hear Thievery Corporation or St. Germain on the radio than Kenny G and Dave Koz, so this really isn't a BAD thing.

:tup:tup:tup:tup

you mention two good ones right there. i hate the label "chill" (like it has a corner on that effect on the listener), but there's a few wonderful things happening in that large canopy of a term.

Edited by joeface

"Chill" is a format commerical radio stations are rolling out to replace the smooth jazz format, as the smooth jazz demographic is getting too old. "Chill" is not a genre, just like "Jack" another iPod inspired radio format is not a genre. The music comes from the acid jazz, downtempo, and trip-hop genres, etc.

"Chill" is a format commerical radio stations are rolling out to replace the smooth jazz format, as the smooth jazz demographic is getting too old. "Chill" is not a genre, just like "Jack" another iPod inspired radio format is not a genre. The music comes from the acid jazz, downtempo, and trip-hop genres, etc.

Jack? What the hell is Jack?! :huh:

Jack and Chill?! -_-

Jazz goes to hell in a handbasket.

Jack? What the hell is Jack?! :huh:

Jack and Chill?! -_-

:huh: Wait a minute; I think I've heard of this pair...

Jazz goes to hell in a handbasket.

What does this have to do with jazz? This isn't a threat to "jazz" stations. Unless you're worried about Dave Koz and Richard Elliot losing out on radio royalties!

And about jack - from Business week:

-link-

Invasion of the Robo-DJs

"Jack format" radio stations are betting iPod-style shuffled playlists will keep listeners tuned in. Cool idea, but probably not cool enough

The latest recipe for success in broadcast radio? Dump a thousand or so random songs into a playlist. Hit shuffle. Then, more often than not, kill the live DJ and replace him with a computer. The stations' monikers are common male names, like "Bob," "Ben," "Hank," and most commonly, "Jack."

This is the so-called Jack format that's riding radio waves all across the U.S. In the last three weeks alone, the format, or a close variant, has debuted on stations in five major metropolitan areas -- Los Angeles, San Diego, Chicago, Philadelphia, and Indianapolis, adding to the half-dozen or so that had switched since Denver inaugurated the format in the U.S. a little over a year ago.

Will the new format be enough to rescue broadcast radio from its creative doldrums? I have my doubts.

The rules guiding a Jack-formatted station are simple: Unlike a typical radio station, which regularly plays 300 or 400 hits of a particular genre, programmers on Jack stations select 700 to 1,000 songs of completely different genres. Then, they sequence them to create what radio programmers call "train wrecks" -- Billy Idol will follow Bob Marley, Elvis after Guns N' Roses, and so on. And Jack stations often (but not always) use a smart-alecky recorded voice, rather than a live DJ, to make short quips between songs.

REBEL RADIO? Broadcast radio lately has come under increasing fire from critics and competitors for being bland, repetitive, and overly commercial. While traditional broadcasters still dominate market share, new technologies are growing fast.

Last week, XM Satellite Radio (XMSR) announced it had added 540,000 subscribers in the first quarter of this year alone, bringing its total base to almost 3.8 million. Meanwhile, consumers are increasingly turning off normal radio and clicking into MP3s and streaming audio feeds over the Internet, according to a recent survey by radio consulting and research firm Jacobs Media.

Programmers hope the looser Jack format will show just how edgy and fresh they can be. "We're not going to be constricted by radio rules," says Peter Smyth, CEO of Greater Media, which owns 19 radio stations and debuted its first Jack station, Ben-FM, on Mar. 22 in Philadelphia. "[We're doing] all the things satellite companies say we'll never do."

Listening to Jack is a bit like listening to an iPod set on shuffle. Sandy Sanderson of Canadian media company Rogers Communications (RG ), who first developed the format for a Rogers station in Vancouver in late 2002, says he didn't initially have an iPod in mind, but admits there are similarities. And many think this is one of the keys to the Jack format's appeal, especially as broadcast stations compete with MP3s, Internet feeds, and satellite radio for consumers' ears.

read on

Oh. my. god.

That is just moronic. Why tune into a radio station for that? You can do it yourself, and just add the tunes you want.

Hey, here's an innovative idea for radio: get someone to actually play records, not off of a playlist, but whatever the hell they feel like playing, logically following one tune with another, building a coherent stream, but without the worry of following any particular musical genre! It'll work! I know it will!! This idea could save radio as we know it!!

(I have another idea about a recording format that defeats digital recording, preventing piracy by using a large vinyl disc to contain-get this-ANALOG recordings of the music, but I don't want to dump too many ideas on you guys at once here...)

Oh. my. god.

That is just moronic.  Why tune into a radio station for that?  You can do it yourself, and just add the tunes you want. 

Hey, here's an innovative idea for radio: get someone to actually play records, not off of a playlist, but whatever the hell they feel like playing, logically following one tune with another, building a coherent stream, but without the worry of following any particular musical genre!  It'll work!  I know it will!!  This idea could save radio as we know it!!

(I have another idea about a recording format that defeats digital recording, preventing piracy by using a large vinyl disc to contain-get this-ANALOG recordings of the music, but I don't want to dump too many ideas on you guys at once here...)

:lol::lol::lol::tup