The Tubby Hayes Quartet

"Commonwealth Blues"

(Art of Life AL1016-2)

Tubby Hayes: Tenor Saxophone, Flute, Vibes

Gordon Beck: Piano

Johnny Butts: Drums

Jeff Clyne: Acoustic Bass

The Tubby Hayes Quartet-"Commonwealth Blues" CD $15.99

All 20 tracks are previously unreleased.

Recorded in the summer of 1965 at Kensington Studios in London, England by the BBC and subsequently sent to Spanish radio stations as Radio Transcription discs to be broadcast only on Spanish radio in the late 1960's. These previously unreleased studio recordings feature pianist Gordon Beck, drummer Johnny Butts and bassist Jeff Clyne. The Tubby Hayes Quartet is presented in a series of four seperate programmes designed to showcase Tubby's unprecedented talents on tenor saxophone, flute and vibes. Each of the four programmes begins and ends with the theme, Tubby's Blues, a song later retitled by Tubby as Commonwealth Blues. Art of Life Records, along with the assistance of Gordon Beck, has obtained the licensing rights from the British Broadcasting Corporation to make these recordings commercially available for the first time!! The CD comes with a 16-page booklet containing 12-pages of detailed and insightful liner notes which includes a historical overview of Tubby Hayes' recording career as well as how this classic British Jazz recording came to be. A must have recording for all Tubby Hayes fans as well as fans of British Jazz!! All tracks have been digitally mastered using 24-bit digital technology.

I know the guy who owns/runs Art of Life. He is a fan/collector of Tubby Hayes and he knows his stuff. I'm confident this will be a first-class reissue. I haven't heard these yet but he tells me that they are top-notch, both in sound and performance.

I have no financial interest in this - I'll buy my copy just like everybody else - but I know the trouble and expense that Paul has gone through to bring this thing to fruition and I hope he sells a boatload of them!.

Pete

thanks Pete.

FWIW the recent Harkit release (see the Bastards) is the same material sans 5 extra takes of "Tubby's Blues" and under the title 'On The Air'. I happened to e-mail AoLR earlier regarding this release and received this mail that confirms some suspicion regarding Harkit ... plus if you pre-order you get $3.00 off so it works out to be a bit less than Dusty Groove.

The Tubby Hayes Quartet-"Commonwealth Blues" CD will be in stock July 15th.

As to the Harkit CD release, we have been informed by the BBC that Harkit

have not obtained the proper licensing from the BBC, in fact, according to

the BBC, Harkit have not even applied for any licensing from the BBC nor

have they obtained proper artist consent to issue the CD. The Harkit CD will

be withdrawn from the market.

We have licensed the recording from the BBC and the CD is being co-produced

with one of the musicians, Gordon Beck.

We would be happy to add your email address to our email list and you will

receive an email announcement as soon as the CD is in stock.  Or you may

also pre-order the CD now via our web site and your credit card will not be

charged until your order is shipped.

If we can be of further assistance please let us know.

Art of Life Records