Computer question for the computer experts

I have an eMachines T1840 (don't laugh; well, okay, laugh a little if you must).

Recently, it was making popping noises like it was shorting out. The first couple of times this happened, I unplugged it, waited a while, plugged it back in and everything was fine. Then this morning, after having this happen again Thursday and leaving it unplugged since then, I tried to switch it on and nothing happened. So, I removed the old power supply, put in a new one, and still nothing happened when I tried to turn it on.

Now, there are some differences in the two power supplies:

1) The first is 250W, this one is 600W.

2) The first did not have a switch on the back; the new one has a switch, which, when turned on, powers up the power supply.

With the new power supply installed, it seems as if it's not communicating with the power switch on the front, which is supposed to communicate with the power supply to, well, power everything up.

Does any of this sound familiar? If it's not the power supply, could it just simply be a faulty switch? Or has the motherboard been short-circuited?

Thanks, as always. :tup

Hrm. Make sure to use a new power cable with the new power supply (psu). Don't use your old cable.

The switch on the back of the power supply powers it on, then the switch on the face should power up the actual computer. Always leave this psu switch ON*.

Also check connections from the switch on the face to the motherboard. Make sure it's not loose.

The only other reason I could think of for the power button not responding is if the new psu has power management features that are not supported by the bios of the motherboard. That can be fixed with some updates/drivers provided by whatever makes an 'eMachine'.

*for safety always unplug your computer when trying in vain to fix it :rcry

So what's the deal with Emachines?

I saw one in Costco- 180 gigs - DVD burner - 17" flat screen monitor - everything you could think of for $699 with a $100 rebate !

Like Sam Butera, I said ...."NEXXXT TIME" .....

Are they not any good?

Edited by Harold_Z

They come with very strange "extras" loaded into the computer, if I remember mine. (I'm trying to forget it!) Extra advertising, links to businesses, etc. I wasn't at all happy, but the OS (Windows ME) was as much, if not more, responsible than the other shit.

The computer itself was fine, once I reformatted the hard disc and loaded the OS from Microsoft rather than the discs supplied by eMachine...

Hrm. Make sure to use a new power cable with the new power supply (psu). Don't use your old cable.

The switch on the back of the power supply powers it on, then the switch on the face should power up the actual computer. Always leave this psu switch ON*.

Also check connections from the switch on the face to the motherboard. Make sure it's not loose.

The only other reason I could think of for the power button not responding is if the new psu has power management features that are not supported by the bios of the motherboard. That can be fixed with some updates/drivers provided by whatever makes an 'eMachine'.

*for safety always unplug your computer when trying in vain to fix it :rcry

Interesting you say that; I used the old power cable. But like I said, the new power supply started right up, even with the old cable. So......

I may, in fact, need a new motherboard. To be continued....

So what's the deal with Emachines?

I saw one in Costco- 180 gigs - DVD burner - 17" flat screen monitor - everything you could think of for $699 with a $100 rebate !

Like Sam Butera,  I  said ...."NEXXXT TIME" .....

Are they not any good?

I forget where on the web I was reading up on computers before a purchase a few years ago, and there seemed to be more complaints about e-machines than all other makes combined...I would go in another direction....

Popping sounds are usually electrical surges. Your guess that the power supply failed is a good one. However, if your machine has any built-in surge circuitry, and it's likely, there has probably been a fuse or trip that has to be reset. There could also be more damage to you machine than just the power supply.

Don't drop too much money on this machine. It could turn out that the whole thing is fried. I wouldn't even buy a new motherboard. If all else fails, pull the hardrive out of this puppy and toss it in a dumpster. You can get refurbished Celeron Dells for less than $300 that will likely beat it out for speed. Just go to http://outlet.us.dell.com/Dispatcher?targe...414104&tgtSeg=I and check out the prices. Beats the heck out of de-bugging power problems.

Later,

Kevin

Popping sounds are usually electrical surges. Your guess that the power supply failed is a good one. However, if your machine has any built-in surge circuitry, and it's likely, there has probably been a fuse or trip that has to be reset. There could also be more damage to you machine than just the power supply.

Don't drop too much money on this machine. It could turn out that the whole thing is fried. I wouldn't even buy a new motherboard. If all else fails, pull the hardrive out of this puppy and toss it in a dumpster. You can get refurbished Celeron Dells for less than $300 that will likely beat it out for speed. Just go to http://outlet.us.dell.com/Dispatcher?targe...414104&tgtSeg=I and check out the prices. Beats the heck out of de-bugging power problems.

Later,

Kevin

You can't imagine how much time you just saved me. I was contemplating doing that, but not knowing as much as I'd like to about computers, I hadn't thought about doing that. Now that you've mentioned it (and I take your computer advice seriously, I'm not being my usual smartass here), I think I'm gonna go that route. Thanks, Kev!