Ray Nance: "When we´re alone" --> finally out!

EKE BBB

This long-awaited release is finally available (directly through AB FABLE website, through www.cdjazz.com or through Cadence Records):

ABCD1-014 RAY NANCE

When We’re Alone

COMPLETE 1940–1949 NON-DUCAL VIOLIN RECORDINGS FEATURING BEN WEBSTER CLARINET TRANSCRIPTIONS

b.cd014.nance.jpg

Including unreleased only known clarinet solo home recordings by Ben Webster with Jimmie Blanton and other sessions with Ray Nance on violin and some trumpet away from Duke Ellington incl. Horace Henderson, Eddie Heywood, Earl Hines, Ivory Joe Hunter, etc.

Songs:

Memories Of You

Sometimes I'm Happy

How High The Moon

I Can't Believe That You're In Love With

The Sheik Of Araby

I Never Knew

Moon Mist

+ various songs

Personnel:

Al Casey

Ben Webster

Dick Katz

Don Byas

Don Redman

Earl Hines

Eddie Heywood

Emmett Berry

Flip Phillips

Horace Henderson

Jimmy Blanton

J.J. Johnson

Johnny Hodges

John Simmons

Oscar Pettiford

Roy Haynes

Russell Procope

Shelly Manne

Sid Catlett

Sonny Greer

Sonny Rollins

Tyree Glenn

Wendell Marshall

Wynton Kelly

Just ordered it through CDJAZZ. Very pricey, but I hope it will be worth it!!!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ray Nance. . . yes. . . this is going to be great.

Hey, Lon, apart from an "old disestablismentarianismist", you´re a freakin´ collector of Ellingtonia. :g

Will I ever find a single Ellington-related disc that you don´t own? ;)

Perhaps FRANCIS A. AND EDWARD K.? ;)

Doesn´t Lon like Sinatra? :P

Ray Nance. . . yes. . . this is going to be great.

Hey, Lon, apart from an "old disestablismentarianismist", you´re a freakin´ collector of Ellingtonia. :g

Will I ever find a single Ellington-related disc that you don´t own? ;)

Perhaps FRANCIS A. AND EDWARD K.? ;)

Doesn´t Lon like Sinatra? :P

You might say 'Old Blue Eyes' is not Lon's favourite. Love him myself and 'Francis A. and Edward K.' is a mighty fine album.

I don't have that Satin Doll cd. . . .

I do have the Sinatra collaboration: I have four cds with Sinatra, that one, two with Basie, and a Harry James RCA that has a small group session that he sings on.

I do NOT really like Francis A. and Edward K. Nothing really happening there. Not really "Ducal" arrangements, mediocre (in my opinion) vocals, some okay playing.

I ordered the Nance from Cadence. . . it shipped yesterday.

Lon, as a big fan of Jobim, I thought you might own the Sinatra/Jobim collaboration. In my opinion, that album really is a masterpiece and a highpoint for both artists.

I agree with that. I'm especially impressed by the subtlety, sensitivity, and nuance of Sinatra's singing on this, in an era where he was beginning to rely more and more on swagger and bluster.

I'm feeling quite free to agree to disagree with you Allen, I do that quite frequently actually.

To clarify a bit: I just don't like him. It doesn't mean he wasn't great or fantastic, whether I think so or not (I very carefully refrained from making any such comment), I just don't like his personality and how it comes through in the music, at all. Or the sound of hs voice. There are many many singers to listen to and I choose not to listen to him. I'd rather listen to Peggy Lee or Billie or Carmen or Una Mae or Jack Teagarden or POPS or Al Hibbler. OR RAY NANCE, definitely. There are plenty of Frank admirers, I am aware I have a minority opinion, and others are free to listen to him round the clock if they want to.

Edited by jazzbo

Another non-Sinatra voice heard from. I can't stand the wise ass arrogant attitude that I hear when he sings. For me, its as if he doesn't let any vulnerability come through - even when he wants to. That's my opininion - I know there are many, many, many, and many more who disagree. They can listen to him and I'll listen to other singers.

To answer Allen Lowe: no, I don't think Frank Sinatra sucks. I would have to agree with you that he was one hell of a singer, but I still understand what Lon is saying. The beautiful thing about most jazz music is its honesty. But sometimes it's difficult to understand how someone like, say for example, Stan Getz could make music that touches you really deeply even though you know what kind of a person he really was. I think it's the same kind of thing with Sinatra. First, you get seduced by his music, then you say to yourself 'this guy sure is one hell of an actor'. I think what Lon is saying is that he has trouble getting past that pose.

Edited by Don Brown

Lon, as a big fan of Jobim, I thought you might own the Sinatra/Jobim collaboration. In my opinion, that album really is a masterpiece and a highpoint for both artists.

I agree with that. I'm especially impressed by the subtlety, sensitivity, and nuance of Sinatra's singing on this, in an era where he was beginning to rely more and more on swagger and bluster.

Amen to that.

On the other hand, I'm really curious to find out more about this Ray Nance and Ben Webster disc. I look forward to your reports.

Yeah, this Ray Nance disc sounds damn good. Perhaps another for my ever-lengthening wish list.