MICHAEL BRECKER NEEDS BONE MARROW DONOR

johnagrandy

• 1 month later...

Dated 1/11/2006 , but I'm pretty sure this just recently showed up on Mike's website ('cause I check it often) :

January 11, 2006 - Michael was the recipient of an experimental "haplo" (half matching) blood stem cell transplant in Minneapolis. His daughter was the donor. While Michael is seriously ill, every day out of the hospital is encouraging. We are hopeful, but there is a long and difficult road ahead. There will be various future donor drive-type activities in which we could use your assistance and support. If you're interested, just send an e-mail to info@michaelbrecker.com and in the subject line write "I want to help".

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I reverted back to an old childhood trick and snuck into Carnegie Hall this evening at intermission to see Herbie Hancock, thinking all I really wanted to see was the quartet with Wayne which was to close the show (I really don't like seeing shows at Carnegie Hall, the sound is usually terrible). Turns out Michael Brecker sat in with Herbie and Ron Carter and Jack DeJohnette earlier in the evening and played great and looked great. I hear he's working on a CD as well. Health-wise (mind you this is all second or third hand information), I've heard he's on a steroid treatment that had gotten him back on his feet but he still needs to find a stem cell match at some point.

I reverted back to an old childhood trick and snuck into Carnegie Hall this evening at intermission to see Herbie Hancock, thinking all I really wanted to see was the quartet with Wayne which was to close the show (I really don't like seeing shows at Carnegie Hall, the sound is usually terrible). Turns out Michael Brecker sat in with Herbie and Ron Carter and Jack DeJohnette earlier in the evening and played great and looked great. I hear he's working on a CD as well. Health-wise (mind you this is all second or third hand information), I've heard he's on a steroid treatment that had gotten him back on his feet but he still needs to find a stem cell match at some point.

wow, that's incredibly good news!!! thanks for sharing.

:tup

• 6 months later...