BFT #28 - Disc Two: DISCUSSION

MartyJazz

Lots of good stuff on here, Marty - thanks for the discs!  This BFT stumped me far more than most of them I've participated in. 

>>ME:  Glad you dig this disc.  Jim R had me depressed with his negative take on the whole disc yesterday :cool:

Oops. :) I know I was negative overall of course, but for the most part, it was just a matter of me not digging the themes. As I said, I found some of it interesting and well executed, so it wasn't all bad to my ears. I think I'm kind of high need in terms of melodic structure and improv, and generally the tea just wasn't right for my cup.

The one thing that's sort of confusing me in terms of comparing my reactions to most others is track 8. Maybe I was unfair on that (?), but that was my initial (sincere) reaction. I haven't had a chance to spin this disc again since returning home, so maybe I'll give it another chance. :cool:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, many thanks to MartyJazz.

As much as I loved disc 1 from the start, it took me several tries before really enjoying Part Two. Not really the type of music I am listening but that's what makes these Blindfold Tests so invaluable. Organissimo people tend put in a lot of care and love to assemble the music. And now I find that there is a lot of music I am not familar with and want to get acquainted with. So...

Track 1 - Buenos Aires meets New York. Very good opening track with the rare sound of bandoneon mixing with a jazz band. The trumpet player sets the pace and shines through. That's not Gato on tenor but the player is a hell of a saxophonist, building slowly his solo to high levels and bringing it to a gatoesque conclusion. The bandoneon throws in licks Piazzola licks. Enjoyed that one very much even if I had no idea who was playing,

Track 2 - The very distinctive drumming of Tony Williams enlightens this trio setting. Not up to The Great Jazz Trio standards but a pretty good one. The pianist has good ideas. Could not figure out who was in that trio besides the drummer,

Track 3- The tune is an homage from Trane to Sonny. Quite good latin version. I always have problems recognizing the tenor players in these settings, wouldn't be surprised to learn that they are Eric Alexander, Joe Lovano, Bennie Wallace or Jerry Bergonzi . I grew up shortly after Sonny and Trane came up with very distinctive sounds and I have trouble nowadays figuring out who their descendants are. I did not bite on that one...

Track 4 - Another nice ensemble. Good playing all around. I am sure I know these musicians but I did not managed a substantial guess and would rather not give names for fear of being put to ridicule once the answers come out! Very much enjoyed that one and you can call me chicken!

Track 5 - Little Niles on marimba. Thought this might be a vibraphone player I heard in New York and knew he played the instrument from time to time. Another version I never caught before MartyJazz compiled this BFT disc. I went searching on AMG and found

Niles

I have not heard this album. Must say I was a bit disappointed by the musician's records. What I heard him do live was much better. Straight to the point jazz. The piano part was pretty exciting but the player is another one who does not seem to have fullfilled his promises. At least I have not heard those on the various albums of him that came my way.

Track 6 - another one of those tenor players I was referring to about track 3. The groove is right, the tune is catchy, the solos are pretty well thought out but somehow I can't get really excited. I know I have been spoiled in my youth and have trouble adjusting to some of the contemporary musicians even if I can recognize they contribute to the continuance of the music. Must add I did not care for the guitarist' explorations.

Track 7 - recognised the bassist and the drummer on first listening, the piano player on the second one.

At long last I am on firm ground. Three masters reunited here. Good pick from Marty, that's one of the best tunes from this album, track 6

Flake

Track 8 - we're getting to Africa. Could that be musicians from South Africa even if I don't hear an Abdullah Ibrahim influence here? Nice and unobtrusive.

Track 9 - Another one from an album I had heard before even if it took me some time to make the right guess.. The mind was going in several directions until the harmonica player showed up. Nobody plays the instrument like him. Another kudo to Marty for having picked a selection from the album which got little distribution when it was released:

track 4 from this album:

le boss

The piano and bass players have had appearances on both discs from this BFT. 'Bout time they get some recognition!

Track 10 - good short and up to the point improvisation. The saxophonist shoots at everything in sight and is right on target. One of those tracks I want to know more about

Track 11 - somehow this one does not do much for me. Getting tired at not being able to figure out who all these musicians are...

Track 12 - great! The tenor player is more distinctive than other players who popped up on this disc 2. Not familiar enough for me! No guess on who's playing organ. This is really good. Will relisten to this!

Track 13 - as far as I am concerned, it's the most interesting side of the whole disc 2. This is the type of interpretations I love to return to. Each listening brought in news pleasures. No idea who these players are but I know that's one album I will be looking for! A very evocative piece and a nice way to finish the BFP! This is serious music! Can't wait to find out what this is (and who these people are)

So once more...

Marty, many thanks. This is one more BFT for keeps!

First of all, many thanks to MartyJazz.

As much as I loved disc 1 from the start, it took me several tries before really enjoying Part Two. Not really the type of music I am listening but that's what makes these Blindfold Tests so invaluable. Organissimo people tend put in a lot of care and love to assemble the music. And now I find that there is a lot of music I am not familar with and want to get acquainted with. So...

Track 1 - Buenos Aires meets New York. Very good opening track with the rare sound of bandoneon mixing with a jazz band. The trumpet player sets the pace and shines through. That's not Gato on tenor but the player is a hell of a saxophonist, building slowly his solo to high levels and bringing it to a gatoesque conclusion. The bandoneon throws in licks Piazzola licks. Enjoyed that one very much even if I had no idea who was playing,

>>ME:  Glad you liked this, you're in a minority :) .  I like it alot but it's certainly not everyone's COT, e.g., Sngry's "What's the point"?  And I've looked for other stuff that's featured the tenor and did find one disc where he is a sideman in a quintet.

Track 2 - The very distinctive drumming of Tony Williams enlightens this trio setting. Not up to The Great Jazz Trio standards but a pretty good one. The pianist has good ideas. Could not figure out who was in that trio besides the drummer,

>>ME:  Certainly correct re Tony.  Cut has been id'd, the pianist also being the composer of the track.

Track 3- The tune is an homage from Trane to Sonny. Quite good latin version. I always have problems recognizing the tenor players in these settings, wouldn't be surprised to learn that they are Eric Alexander, Joe Lovano, Bennie Wallace or Jerry Bergonzi  . I grew up shortly after Sonny and Trane came up with very distinctive sounds and I have trouble nowadays figuring out who their descendants are. I did not bite on that one...

>>ME: Previously id'd also.  Right on re one of the tenors mentioned, two others being on a later track.

Track 4 - Another nice ensemble. Good playing all around. I am sure I know these musicians but I did not managed a substantial guess and would rather not give names for fear of being put to ridicule once the answers come out! Very much enjoyed that one and you can call me chicken!

>>ME: Glad you enjoyed this.  Am looking forward to posting the answer on this one.

(snip)

Track 6 - another one of those tenor players I was referring to about track 3. The groove is right, the tune is catchy, the solos are pretty well thought out but somehow I can't get really excited. I know I have been spoiled in my youth and have trouble adjusting to some of the contemporary musicians even if I can recognize they contribute to the continuance of the music. Must add I did not care for the guitarist' explorations.

>>ME: Another one id'd previously and you do name two of the tenors that appear hear in your ruminations on track #3.

(snip)

Track 9 - Another one from an album I had heard before even if it took me some time to make the right guess.. The mind was going in several directions until the harmonica player showed up. Nobody plays the instrument like him. Another kudo to Marty for having picked a selection from the album which got little distribution when it was released:

track 4 from this album:

le boss

The piano and bass players have had appearances on both discs from this BFT. 'Bout time they get some recognition!

>>ME: I figured that if anyone besides me had this album, it would have to be you and yes, quite a nice coincidence that the pianist and bassist also appear on Disc One at a substantially different time and context.

Track 10 - good short and up to the point improvisation. The saxophonist shoots at everything in sight and is right on target. One of those tracks I want to know more about

(snip)

Track 12 - great! The tenor player is more distinctive than other players who popped up on this disc 2. Not familiar enough for me! No guess on who's playing organ. This is really good. Will relisten to this!

Track 13 - as far as I am concerned, it's the most interesting side of the whole disc 2. This is the type of interpretations I love to return to. Each listening brought in news pleasures. No idea who these players are but I know that's one album I will be looking for! A very evocative piece and a nice way to finish the BFP! This is serious music! Can't wait to find out what this is (and who these people are)

>>ME: I'm glad you're curious about so many tracks.  That should be the point of these BFTs, I would hope.

So once more...

Marty, many thanks. This is one more BFT for keeps!

>>ME:  If ever I'm in Paris again, I know who to look up.  :tup

OK, Marty for a Paris meet. It's your call.

Peeked at the other answers. Could not wait for the answer on that final track and see that JimS had this! I have never seen the disc, must have run across the title somewhere but it did not enter my mind that this pianist might have recorded that kind of date. I have only entered his world a couple of years ago and am trying to get to his various recordings but these are hard to find. One more reason to continue to explore his music.

No activity in this discussion for a few days now. To update, tracks #1, 4, 10 & 11 have yet to be fully id'd. Considering that 11 of the 37 recipients of the BFTs have yet to be heard from in either BFT 28 discussion forum, it would be nice if one of you freeloaders could make a contribution here.

Answers will be posted this coming Tuesday.

Here goes the second one...

1 - Tango anyone? Is that an accordion?

2 - Piano is hot.

3 - Not bad. Seems like something from today.

4 - I liked this very much. Can't really take a guess at the horns, piano may be Ronnie Mathews or someone simialr.

5 - Don't know.

6 - Is the tune "How High The Moon"? Very different.

7 - A pleasant piece of music. Kirk Lightsey perhaps?

8 - It grew on me. I'm guessing Joe Farrell.

9 - If I hear a harmonica I say Toots.

10 - Sonny Rollins? Something I've not heard before.

11 - The tune is "Love for Sale"

12 - And the organ makes an appearance. :cool: The tenor did more for me.

13 - Most interesting.

Thanks for letting me play.