Should there be a 3 Sounds Mosaic?

BLP 1577

I really enjoy this group, and I am somewhat puzzled why there isn't more of their recording in print. Does anyone know if there is plans to doa Mosaic set of the 3 Sounds? Going through the BN discography and see there is still a number of sessions that are listed as unissued. What's the chance these could see the light of day?

As the former Gene Harris Fanatic, I applaud anyone who wishes there could be a Sounds Mosaic.

However, it appears that the large number of sessions precludes a Mosaic because Cuscuna views it as too expensive. Nevertheless, he is known to be actively considering the possibility of a two volume Mosaic Select set, which is great to get the music out again, however, since I own these dates, I would re-buy them only if it came with the full Mosaic treatment including the booklet with the exhaustive essay. Guess we can't have everything.

As to the issue unissued material, it was suggested once that Mosaic could put out a "Complete Unissued Sounds" set but again Michael shot that down on the basis that these unissued tunes were regarded as lesser efforts than the issued sessions and therefore not really worthy. It is true though that a significant amount of this material has come out on Babes Blues, Standards, and other regular Three Sounds reissues.

To get all their released material, you will basically have to go the TOCJ route.

Re a Mosaic (which I would really like if McMaster didn't do it), there are something like 208 recorded selections and about 60 still unreleased. These figures are from memory, so don't quote me, but they are about right.

I wouldn't buy a Mosaic (select or regular) if McMaster did it.

It strange, this group helped along with Horace Silver make Blue Note some good Cash. If you look at all the times they were in the recording studio, it makes you wonder why Blue Note today doesn't have more of their sessions available.

I'll just keep hunting on ebay.

I have "Babes Blues" and "Black Orchid" CDs- that's one CD too many. What I hear swings well but is pretty shallow.

I guess every label had this kind of pop jazz group. Harold Harris on Veejay must be the worst of this sort of cocktail-hard bop jazz piano school judging by the lamentable "Here' Harold"

To each his own (ears) but obviously yours are defective if you cannot hear or appreciate the interplay between Harris, Simpkins and Dowdy or the extraordinary blues sense of Harris.

What's lamentable is that you refer to The Three Sounds as "pop jazz".

Yes, they were popular. But they were pure jazz.

Some could label the Three Sounds as lightweight, but I don't care. Gene Harris is obviously a talent and these guys play real tight. I happen to like their stuff. I just wish more were available. I'll probably eventually pick up most of their BN's, but I'll have to go the expensive import route. As money allows....

BTW, I did not care for the Turrentine/Three Sounds, "Blue Hour" Conn disc. Should I have given it another chance, Dan?

ABSOLUTELY! :D

To me, that album is a desert-island disc. So soulful, so blue (the original session, especially) ... I find it especially great when listened to in a dark or darkened room-it brings out the deeply blue feelings, for me.

By the way, if its the so-called "snooze" factor that keeps this date from working for you but you'd like to hear Gene and Stanley really wail on some blues, then I absolutely recommend their Concord release "Gene Harris Trio + One" which was a live date at the Blue Note in New York, and Harris and Turrentine tear it up, big time, with the superlative support of Ray Brown and Mickey Roker.

I love Blue Hours, too! What a wonderful session!

Conn: get the ConnSeries release (as your name says...). Disc 1 has the original album, no disturbance by alternates. You get alts and additional stuff from an earlier session on Disc 2. (Though this all does not come close to the originally released music! But concerning "snooze", the second disc with that earlier session is a little stronger with faster tunes)

Dan: that Concord sounds interesting!

ubu

Amazon has it for $17, Barnes and Noble has it for $14, but I'll be you can find better deals on line elsewhere.

I also think there is an SACD/Hybrid issue that's on the schedule in the near term. Don't tell Greg but I just might give that hybrid a try, at least to hear the CD layer ;)

Perhaps I shouldn't admit this, but recently I developed a taste for the early Ramsey Lewis trio (before they became terminally commercial).

Anyway, their earlier recordings sort of remind me of The Three Sounds. Would anyone care to comment on that comparison? Or on the early Ramsey Lewis trio? I rarely hear much about them on the various forums. Perhaps, like the Three Sounds, their commercial success has undermined their later appreciation.

Perhaps I shouldn't admit this, but recently I developed a taste for the early Ramsey Lewis trio (before they became terminally commercial).

Anyway, their earlier recordings sort of remind me of The Three Sounds. Would anyone care to comment on that comparison? Or on the early Ramsey Lewis trio? I rarely hear much about them on the various forums. Perhaps, like the Three Sounds, their commercial success has undermined their later appreciation.

I've got the Chess/MCA/Universal 2CD "In Person 1960-67". Like that quite much. But it would certainly be nice to have some of the original albums in nice CD reissues.

ubu