considering the Yamaha RX777 reciever

tranemonk

anything wrong w/ the Denon?

seems to me, and I'm no equipment guy, that it's not much of an upgrade at all?? Japanese Watts to Japanese Watts :huh: ?? and Denons have always been pretty strong in their high end gear.

sure upgrades that Tweeter sales guy's check, tho.

my uneducated guess is to go out and buy some new "software" this weekend and keep it til you get something that's more of an upgrade.

If I checked correctly, the Denon is $400 and the Yamaha $600. Unless there is something about the Denon you don't like, I would not consider this a worthwile upgrade.

If you upgrade, consider getting a seperate tuner and amplifier. The FM tuner would be the last one you need, and you'll be able to upgrade amplifiers independantly. Seperate amplifiers generally sound better than receivers. There is no technical reason at that, maybe it's because with receivers the functionality is priority and not sound quality. The choice of stereo receivers is also quite limited, as most now have surround amplification, which for the same price is necessarily of lower quality than just stereo amplication.

For tuners and amplifiers, you can make good deals in buying second hand. This is technology that has not evolved much in the last decade(s), so no need to get the latest models.

Edited by Claude

ps: seeing that tranemonk is in MA i bet he's itching to get that "no sales tax in MA weekend" underway. get yerself over to audiolab in cambridge or Q-audio down by MIT.

Tweeter is really BestBuy w/o washing machines. they probably gets Yamahas for dirt.

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm