Wynton Marsalis: Live at the House of Tribes

CJ Shearn

I do think there is a gap between his recordings and his live performances....

you can call it a tactic... but I enjoy both....

but to each his/her own.... :cool::cool:

the thing that's frustrating for me... is that this FEELS like it's becoming one of another 10,000 Wynton rants... (not directly you JS... just the tone of this thread....)

anyway...I'm done on this one.... :cool::cool:

I am happy to say that you are wrong re "the tone of this thread." Any thread that focuses on a single performer or group is bound to contain pros and cons--it is only when these get out of hand that the tone becomes regrettable (and the thread loses validity). I sense none of that here, just honest positive and negative opinions, expressed in a civil manner. It is when critique is confused with "bashing" that threads on this particular player turn sour. This one need not go bad and any suggestion that it has is--as a Pentagon thug likes to say--unhelpful. :)

Hey, I liked the album and said so. I also thought that Wynton played good on it and said so. I also think that "good" is an accurate overall description of Wynton at his best and that's it's refreshing to hear it presented honestly and forthrightly as such, and I said that too, in so many words.

Ain't no shame in being good. Lots of players don't even make it that far. It's only a problem if one has aspirations, either for one's self or for somebody else, to greatness. And frankly, greatness either happens or it doesn't. It can't be manufactured, although lord knows, people keep trying.

So, if it's a problem that I can only view Wynton's best work as good and not great, then a problem it shall remain. I do wonder, though, under what criteria does calling a particular performance good instead of great constitute bashing, ranting, or some such.

I have both real butter and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter in my refrigerator. My preference is for real butter, but under circumstances, I willingly use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, and I enjoy it for what it is. The product's name to the contrary, I CAN believe it's not butter, but that doesn't prevent me from using it, nor from enjoying it when I do.

I do, however, have to wonder what's up with people who try to convince me that the only reason that I can't believe it's not butter is because I haven't experienced it under the right conditions.

I have both real butter and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter in my refrigerator. My preference is for real butter, but under circumstances, I willingly use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, and I enjoy it for what it is.

Anyone else read these words and think of this?

10132874.jpg

(Sorry, but this thread just felt like it had run it's course and was ripe for being derailed a bit. :rolleyes: )

I have both real butter and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter in my refrigerator. My preference is for real butter, but under circumstances, I willingly use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, and I enjoy it for what it is. The product's name to the contrary, I CAN believe it's not butter, but that doesn't prevent me from using it, nor from enjoying it when I do.

I see a poll in the near future...

I think you guys are missing the point on Wynton's playing on this record. It's a laid back session, no record company bs, no Pulizter prize high concept bs, no "let's show off" bs (except on occasion, but it's tasteful) - it's a laid back late night gig. No one's trying to prove anything, though the band is especially "on" all throughout the record. I'm not a big Wes Anderson fan, but his playing (and you can say the same for Eric Lewis) is pleasantly unorthodox, yet in the "tradition" in every way. Joe Farnsworth also is very impressive on drums.