zappa/ayler connection...

Guest donald petersen

Guest akanalog

i just discovered henry vestine, who played on some albery ayler albums (later impulse ones, of course) was also in one of the original verisions of the mothers of invention.

i discovered this because during a "duprees paradise" improvisation, zappa was describing the scene at duprees paradise and was talking about a jam session where henry vestine was slumped agains the wall playing a telecaster or something. i dunno-it was funny when i listened to it. but yeah so henry vestine played with both zappa and ayler.

zappa also said that the jam session players got in trouble for trying to figure out bye bye blackbird rather than playing the blues, which got people to drink more.

i mean it was all made up but amusing.

i love duprees paradise improvisations. i also heard one the other day where zappa and co. were mocking chick corea's babbling scientologist talk. this is when chester thompson who also played with weather report was in the mothers and george duke and napoleon brock kept saying "chester, you're the trunk of the tree".

Guest akanalog

oh i guess it makes more sense when zappa says he is slumped against the wall playing his telecaster if he was wasted. that is what i assumed but you confirm it i guess....

Not relevant but he had the biggest F...kin beard I ever saw in my life, bigger than Marx and Bakunin together!, cut square half way down his chest, dont know how he kept in form getting tangled up in his guitar...I read somewhere that Ayler said somthing like you look like shit, but you sure can play.

i also heard one the other day where zappa and co. were mocking chick corea's babbling scientologist talk.

It's called Joe's Garage.

Hence the Buell Neidlinger "Marty's Garage" (I think this is it) record... Buell and Zappa were tight, apparently.

The Vestine - Ayler duets are something else, indeed...