loading copy protection stuff into itunes?

Soul Stream

i have this cd. all i had to do to make a copy on my hard drive was hold down the shift key while loading it into the computer. this prevents the auto start that installs the imbedded software. it's that simple. i don't have an ipod, but i would imagine you'd have no trouble loading this copy into itunes, right?

Edited by jazzshrink

i have this cd. all i had to do to make a copy on my hard drive was hold down the shift key while loading it into the computer. this prevents the auto start that installs the imbedded software. it's that simple. i don't have an ipod, but i would imagine you'd have no trouble loading this copy into itunes, right?

You'd still have trouble even if you do this. iTunes will still not recognize the disc.

Performing a disc-at-once copy after holding down the shift key will let you copy the whole disc with copy protection software, which will try to operate when you insert the copied disc in your computer's CD drive.

What you need to do after inserting the CD with your shift key held down is to extract each song in a lossless format (.WAV, for instance) and reassemble the disc using your burner software. Then insert the copied/assembled disc back and load it to your iPod using iTunes.

Not worth my time.

Edited by Saint Vitus

If you happen to have a stand alone cd burner, make a copy of the original to a cdr or cdrw, then that cd will be able to be ripped.  The correct track info even shows up for me.

I think I'll try this. I've tried the other ways, and haven't gotten it to work for whatever reasons....

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! :D

Performing a disc-at-once copy after holding down the shift key will let you copy the whole disc with copy protection software, which will try to operate when you insert the copied disc in your computer's CD drive.

Holding down the shift key merely prevents the copy protection application from installing and running. What you do with that "CD-Rom" in your PC after is up to you. You can play it, rip it or open iTunes and import it. It's just a CD-ROM.

If you don't hold down the shift key for each and every one of these discs when you insert it into your PC and this software ever gets installed once, from then on your machine will recognize the copy protection and lock it out. Stopping this copy protection software the first time and every time, is key.

I have used both Exact Audio Copy as well as EZ CD Creator to make copies of these copy protected CDs and the resulting disc does not have any software on it, just audio. In fact, when using EZ CD Creator and selecting File>New CD Project>Music CD you cannot burn anything but music files. Exact Audio Copy sees the data but doesn't list it as "extractable" either.

Kevin

EDIT: My daughter has iTunes running on her PC. I will attempt to load "Manhattan Symphonie" into it tomorrow.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

If you don't hold down the shift key for each and every one of these discs when you insert it into your PC and this software ever gets installed once, from then on your machine will recognize the copy protection and lock it out. Stopping this copy protection software the first time and every time, is key.

I don't recall if this was mentioned before, but it is fairly quick and easy to disable the "Auto Run" feature in Windows permanently, so that holding the shift key for every CD would no longer be necessary.

This copy protection stuff infuriates me. :rmad::rmad: It penalizes the honest consumer.

I got good news and bad news. The good news is that I was able to get "Manhattan Symphonie" into iTunes. The bad news is I had to use Musicmatch to rip the mp3s and import them into iTunes. iTunes simply refused to "see" the CD. Nothing I could do would make it work.

BTW, I don't blame the copy protection on the CD. I blame iTunes.

I don't like iTunes. It's just a bloated file manager program with a link to their store. Apple should have just made the iPod Plug & Play. I mean, really, it's an mp3 player, no more, no less.

Why? It predates the copy protection scheme in question. It's the responsibility of the scheme to work around iTunes, not the other way around.

I don't like iTunes. It's just a bloated file manager program with a link to their store. Apple should have just made the iPod Plug & Play. I mean, really, it's an mp3 player, no more, no less.

Yeah, but this way everybody with their fancy Apple toy and ostentatious white headphones can feel trendy. :)

Guy

Why? It predates the copy protection scheme in question. It's the responsibility of the scheme to work around iTunes, not the other way around.

I blame iTunes because I ran several other applications that use the CD drive and they all recognized that a CD with music was in the drive. iTunes clearly was designed to recognize a copy protected CD by disallowing the user from forcing it to "see" the hidden audio tracks. The technique of "hiding" the audio is not new and predates iTunes by years. iTunes knew of this and put in code to prevent their software from getting around the copy protection.

I wonder if iTunes's next revision will prevent importing mp3s not created by iTunes? That would show their thinking for sure.

Kevin

I got good news and bad news. The good news is that I was able to get "Manhattan Symphonie" into iTunes. The bad news is I had to use Musicmatch to rip the mp3s and import them into iTunes. iTunes simply refused to "see" the CD. Nothing I could do would make it work.

What's Musicmatch and how do I use it? I'm a total idiot on the computer... :g