Billie with Duke

Quasimado

Would anybody know of anything with Billie singing live with Duke and the Orchestra? I once heard a wonderful track - I think it was *I Cover the Waterfront*, on a rather obscure compilation type LP I have never come across since.

I'd be most grateful for any information ...

Q.

What was the last Masters of Jazz issue? The last I've found is Dexter Gordon/Wardell Gray MJCD 176. So far I've only found 13 of their CDs. I have a long way to go.

That's from a January 1945 concert in Los Angeles.

It was issued on the Masters of Jazz CD vol. 14 of their Billie Holiday series.

This one!

Out of print by now. And pretty hard to get...

What was the last Masters of Jazz issue? The last I've found is Dexter Gordon/Wardell Gray MJCD 176. So far I've only found 13 of their CDs. I have a long way to go.

The last one was MJCD 202,

Billie Holiday, Vol. 17: June-September 1949,

released 27 May 2002

"7"

The last one was MJCD 202,

Billie Holiday, Vol. 17: June-September 1949,

released 27 May 2002

"7"

Volume 18 of the Billie Holiday series was scheduled for release but I don't think it ever made it to the stores. I have never seen a copy of it.

The final Masters of Jazz to be issued were volume 7 of the Wardell Gray series and volume 5 of the Getz.

That was it :(

Did she do any singing with the Orch at the Plaza event?

No, she did not.

Billie Holiday was recording a session for her 'Lady in Satin' album that day and she arrived late at the party.

She sang 'When Your Lover Has Gone' and 'Don't Explain' with Buck Clayton and Mal Waldron and others.

The two songs were included in volume II of 'Jazz at the Plaza/Duke Ellington & His Orchestra' releases.