I got a new job!

Decided to take a hiatus from school teaching. Don't really like it and have been wanting to become more involved in a career that A) keeps me close to education, B) musical instruments and hardware, and C) won't make me feel as if I wasted my parents' money spent for college.

At the beginning of September I took a fulltime/manager-in-training position for Music & Arts Center, a major music store chain that does band/orchestral instrument rentals, sells sheet music, drums, guitars and other hardware. It's been awesome!! :party: Doesn't pay much but advancement was promised pretty quickly.....

Now, I was thinking in a year, maybe two, I'll be manager of my own store..HAH....In about a week I'll be manager of a Music & Arts Center store in NJ. :cool: I'm excited, anxious, a bit overwhelmed, but I can't wait cuz opportunity's knocking pretty loud right now.

Can anybody here who's ever been a manager give me any pointers about manager/associate relations, organization, training people, telling them what to do running a retail store, how to fit in a life aside from work..etc. etc. etc.?

Very excited,

Bill

:rhappy::rhappy:

Well..she-it. Not only are they part of Guitar Center, but the store in Lawrenceville is in the same mall where my Dad had a book store in the late '70s. I even worked there for a year or so.

Have fun...

Edited by 7/4

Congrats Bill!

I am under the impression that retail stores will hire just about anybody willing to work for the low wages. As a result, it is not uncommon to have employees who will do just enough work not to get fired.

So I recommend that you be ready for employees with bad attitudes. Don't let it grind you down!