Amazon pre-ordering and Cellar Door

Based on my previous experiences with Amazon, "pre-order" prices are about as good as the paper they're printed on. I've twice ordered from Amazon -- as in, placed orders and received confirmations of my orders -- only to watch the items disappear from my cart in subsequent days, and then receive an E-mail from Amazon that the price was listed "incorrectly," offering to sell me the item/s at the "new" price (higher price). The second time this happend, I went the whole nine yards, complaining to their legal department and threatening a lawsuit. It was a pretty large order that was "mispriced" and Amazon eventually offered me a $60 gift certificate. I took it because I was too busy to pursue a lawsuit, but Amazon takes the shaky legal view that no binding legal contract happens in any of their transactions until they charge your credit card. In other words, *nothing* is "locked in," despite their offer for an item for sale, your acceptance of their offer by doing the ordering, and their confirmation of your acceptance via E-mail. I cannot speak for CD Universe (I've never had this problem with them), but I can only assume that they take the same self-serving view of contract formation as Amazon. I hope that everyone here who ordered the set will get it a the price they "bought" it at, but don't be surprised if you don't. And if you don't, I'd highly suggest battering Amazon/CD Universe/whomever with complaints and threats of lawsuits. You might get a gift card out of it.

Based on my previous experiences with Amazon, "pre-order" prices are about as good as the paper they're printed on.  I've twice ordered from Amazon -- as in, placed orders and received confirmations of my orders -- only to watch the items disappear from my cart in subsequent days, and then receive an E-mail from Amazon that the price was listed "incorrectly," offering to sell me the item/s at the "new" price (higher price).  The second time this happend, I went the whole nine yards, complaining to their legal department and threatening a lawsuit.  It was a pretty large order that was "mispriced" and Amazon eventually offered me a $60 gift certificate.  I took it because I was too busy to pursue a lawsuit, but Amazon takes the shaky legal view that no binding legal contract happens in any of their transactions until they charge your credit card.  In other words, *nothing* is "locked in," despite their offer for an item for sale, your acceptance of their offer by doing the ordering, and their confirmation of your acceptance via E-mail.  I cannot speak for CD Universe (I've never had this problem with them), but I can only assume that they take the same self-serving view of contract formation as Amazon.  I hope that everyone here who ordered the set will get it a the price they "bought" it at, but don't be surprised if you don't.  And if you don't, I'd highly suggest battering Amazon/CD Universe/whomever with complaints and threats of lawsuits.  You might get a gift card out of it.

I preordered from CD Universe at the $38.49 price back in August, and still get weekly emails telling me that my order is still valid. There is no release date associated with the box on their site, but it's still showing the pre-order at the original price. I'm going to assume that whenever this thing eventually does come out, that they'll honor their price. Otherwise, wouldn't they have cancelled all of the preorders that they received already?

Like I said, I have no bad experiences with CD Universe in this manner. Just don't assume you're getting it for the price you ordered it as until your credit card is charged. If *they* get charged more by the label at the last minute, whose pocket do you think they're going to try to take the difference out of? Their own?

• 3 weeks later...

Based on my previous experiences with Amazon, "pre-order" prices are about as good as the paper they're printed on.  I've twice ordered from Amazon -- as in, placed orders and received confirmations of my orders -- only to watch the items disappear from my cart in subsequent days, and then receive an E-mail from Amazon that the price was listed "incorrectly," offering to sell me the item/s at the "new" price (higher price).   The second time this happend, I went the whole nine yards, complaining to their legal department and threatening a lawsuit.  It was a pretty large order that was "mispriced" and Amazon eventually offered me a $60 gift certificate.  I took it because I was too busy to pursue a lawsuit, but Amazon takes the shaky legal view that no binding legal contract happens in any of their transactions until they charge your credit card.  In other words, *nothing* is "locked in," despite their offer for an item for sale, your acceptance of their offer by doing the ordering, and their confirmation of your acceptance via E-mail.   I cannot speak for CD Universe (I've never had this problem with them), but I can only assume that they take the same self-serving view of contract formation as Amazon.  I hope that everyone here who ordered the set will get it a the price they "bought" it at, but don't be surprised if you don't.  And if you don't, I'd highly suggest battering Amazon/CD Universe/whomever with complaints and threats of lawsuits.  You might get a gift card out of it.

I preordered from CD Universe at the $38.49 price back in August, and still get weekly emails telling me that my order is still valid. There is no release date associated with the box on their site, but it's still showing the pre-order at the original price. I'm going to assume that whenever this thing eventually does come out, that they'll honor their price. Otherwise, wouldn't they have cancelled all of the preorders that they received already?

ditto