Paul Motian Trio

skeith

Bill Frisell, Ron Carter, Paul Motian gets released on 9/12. I wonder if this was one of the CDs they were selling at the bar.

I think next time, I'm going to sit a bit farther back. Like you said, Motian can get pretty loud. It was pretty cool to get a good look at Motian play, I'd love to see transcriptions of some of his drum parts. I wonder what the hell the logic is to his syncopation. That's where I was leading with the Munoz story - I'm even more confused by Rashid Ali. At least with Motian, I can find a trace of a pulse.

Frisell could have been lounder at points, it was hard to get a good look at him during the first set. There was guy sitting in front of me with a really huge head and another one in front of him. Later it was nice to get a good look at his picking technique and his echo pedal footwork.

Frisell and Motian are a match made in heaven, they both have a real original sense of rhythm. Lavano kind of anchors things in a way when he's soloing.

I'd like to go again next week, but Jeff Beck on Monday out here in Jersey and Torn/Berne/Taborn/Rainey at the 55 Bar on Friday - I can't make it during the week. Maybe the 17th...hmmm.

Great to hang with you again Guy and meet your friends too.

Ha - I was in NY and saw these guys on Weds. the 6th. Great show. My ony complaint too, was that Frisell was standing at kind of a right angle to the audience, so I did not get to see his technique either. Lovano - a guy I never really warmed to on record - was superb. Maybe I need to get out more :)

• 2 years later...