Von Freeman in Philadelphia

alankin

I think Jim's right. Von's worth every penny, but you'd be lucky to sell 100 tickets (at most) to a show like that -- hear in Kansas City. (And when I say 100, I probably mean more like 75 or even 50.)

They turned out about 300 to hear Wayne's quartet here in KC a couple weeks ago, but that only filled about 2/3rds of the hall. Tickets were $45 for that, but Shorter has a much, MUCH bigger name than Von does.

So $41 seems high to me too -- if you want anybody to come.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Anyone planning to go to this?  Chalupa?  Alan?

I'm hoping to get there, but I'm not 100% yet.

And, yeah, the tickets are pricey, but probably are bunch are sold through subscriptions. It's also in the smaller of the two main halls at the center (several hundred seats versus many hundreds), which has pretty good sound. (The larger hall may sound good for an orchestra, but stinks for an acoustic jazz group.)

Anyone planning to go to this?  Chalupa?  Alan?

I'm hoping to get there, but I'm not 100% yet.

And, yeah, the tickets are pricey, but probably are bunch are sold through subscriptions. It's also in the smaller of the two main halls at the center (several hundred seats versus many hundreds), which has pretty good sound. (The larger hall may sound good for an orchestra, but stinks for an acoustic jazz group.)

I saw Marian McPartland and Dave Brubeck in Verizon Hall, and they sounded pretty good to me! Have you had bad experience with small-group jazz in Verizon Hall, Alan? I agree that the Perelman Theater is the better of the 2 halls for this show--but it still holds a lot of people (about 650 in Perleman vs. 2500 in Verizon).

So the Perleman holds about 650 people and they're selling tickets at $41 a pop?  Maybe I'm just a pessimist, but... man, it's going to be lonely in there.

I may go just to count the number of attendees and prove you wrong. :P Oh yeah, and also for the great music. :excited: And to hang with Chalupa and maybe Alan. :tup

Actually, a lot of the seats are in balconies that wrap around the theater, and it's a relatively intimate feeling room (especially compared to neigboring Verizon Hall), so it probably wouldn't feel that empty even with a couple hundred people. If you're interested, go to this page and click on "Virtual Tour of the Kimmel Center," and then in the popup window click on the arrow that brings up "Perelman Theater, chamber mode" to see a 360-degree view of the space. You never know--if things keep going the way they have been, Organissimo could play this venue some day. :w

To a packed house of 20 people!!!  :D

Which would still beat two shows I saw in the 70's here in Philly. Juju (nice group that recorded for Strata-East) pulled about a dozen people at the Ethical Society (promoter, if I remember his name correctly, was Leo Gadsen. He brought some really nice shows to that venue including Jazz Messengers and Jackie McLean and Hannibal Peterson/George Adams, but likely didn't make a penny on them). And, just to show the state of things then, in 1976 or 1977, Andrew Hill played a solo concert at, I think, the Walnut Street Theatre, and 14 people came. I couldn't believe it. Empty Foxhole Cafe, with like $5 tickets back then, had trouble pulling 200 people for Archie Shepp, for Richie Cole/Eddie Jefferson, for Cecil Taylor, for the Heath Brothers, for Clifford Jordan. Things seemed a bit better at some of the shows in the 90's here (less venues for sure, which may have helped individual shows), but Billy Harper and Mingus Dynasty (Jack Walrath-led) each had trouble pulling 200-300 people to the Painted Bride Art Center, my favorite venue in the city, with $15-$20 tickets. I haven't been to the Verizon Center yet, would like to see it once, but won't be doing so at $41 a pop.

Edited by felser