AOTW Oct 30-Nov 5

JSngry

I heard this record around '78 or '79 when I was in high school. Checked it out from the local public library. I had heard of Ornette, but had never listened to any. I remember my buddy and me being totally bewildered at hearing this groove that lasted an entire side of a record; then continued (with variation) throughout the other side! I haven't heard that music in the last 26+ years, but that melody is indeed still dancing in my head. Sadly, I never got past that melody to check out Ornette's improvisation. I need to see if I can track down a copy of this!

BTW- the other memorable record I checked out from the library on that visit was Trane, Giant Steps. Bewildering in a whole other way!

I still feel the "restrictions".

I listened to this album for the first time this week - I think my first 'virgin' AOTW, as it were.

I have to say, I'm unfamiliar with any Prime Time, etc. But, my overriding impression of Ornette here was of someone trying to break out - he seems to me to be straining at the leash which is provided by these rhythms. He sounds a bit like he's in a box to me.

I do enjoy the record: it's fun, it dances around, it rocks, it rolls, and all the rest of it. And yet, I really agree with Chuck's contention that it sounds restricted.