Backs are a bitch, in case you didn't know that....

BERIGAN

I recall a fair number of folks here have suffered in the past from one of the more poorly designed parts of the human body. I first screwed my back up when I was 16 taking an intake manifold off my 69 Impala. It gave me trouble on and off , but after twice hurting it at Borders(You end up lifting a lot of weight working for years at a busy book store, believe it or not!) I had surgery to remove a disc in 1999. I did a lot better after the surgery, but still had some minor pain.

Early this year, I had pain down my left leg, just as I was trying to start a lawn service business(The very morning I was to start, a good omen, no doubt) Funny thing was, the pain would make it hard to walk, yet as soon as I got out there with a mower, the pain would go away for a few hours! It didn't help my back much that when my Mom was dying, she needed someone to pull her up in her hospital bed, as she would slowly slip down during the day(She could only sleep sitting up in bed) After she passed, my back started to get better, I could straighten my left leg out the same as my right leg again come August.

Well, on the 23rd, I was cleaning out my 79 Lincoln for a friend who is going to buy it from me. I was doing very minor stuff, cleaning the white leather, the windows, and some of the clutter...picking up a bottle behind the front seat set my back off. I came in for a few minutes, put some ice on my back, then went back out again. big mistake. I was starting to walk funny, my left leg just doesn't want to go out in front of me. Some pain, but I could live with it. By the next day, I could barely walk, I was shuffling like Tim Conway did on the Carol Burnett show. I can't even begin to stretch my Leg out at all. Sometimes it feels like my leg will give out. Great time of year to have this happen, eh?

All doctors are on vacation of course. My GP, a really swell guy, can't admit anyone to the hospital anyway. My orthopedic surgeon moved away from town soon after my surgery. The doctor who did my Mom's surgery, did a good job, but made her wait way too long, months after the disc blew out in her back. Her pain was much worse than mine ever was before my surgery. The pain I'm in right now, is many times worse than what I thought was pretty bad in 99. I don't know what exactly I am asking of people here...(Could be the mega dosage of Hydrocodone is fogging my brain) I get the feeling I will need to go to the E.R. soon.

When my Mom couldn't get out of bed the pain was so bad, we called 911, and I they were not going to admit her at first, acted like there wasn't much they could do for a "backache" I really had get in the doctors face just to get her admitted overnight. I'm not really up to a fight, but what can I do if my back doesn't get better, or gets even worse??? The doctor that admitted my Mom to the hospital earlier this year for pneumonia (Mom couldn't come into the office, she came out to the ambulance to verify her condition-long story) she's on vacation. Every doctor we can think of is away! Grrr!

My back has been killing me recently as well, so I "feel your pain". It goes into my leg and makes it hard to walk sometimes or even move. I've been seeing a chiropracter three times a week and that was helping a lot, but then she went out of town for two weeks and now with Christmas and New Year's, I've been in once since she's been back and it seems to have reverted.

Is your leg numb? Tingly? If so, that is very bad. I wouldn't go to the emergency room because they won't do shit. Is there a friend you can call to help you? The shitty thing is that you'll probably just have to tough it out until after the holidays or find someone that has an "in" with a doctor.

I can send you some vicadins! :)

My back has been killing me recently as well, so I "feel your pain". It goes into my leg and makes it hard to walk sometimes or even move. I've been seeing a chiropracter three times a week and that was helping a lot, but then she went out of town for two weeks and now with Christmas and New Year's, I've been in once since she's been back and it seems to have reverted.

Is your leg numb? Tingly? If so, that is very bad. I wouldn't go to the emergency room because they won't do shit. Is there a friend you can call to help you? The shitty thing is that you'll probably just have to tough it out until after the holidays or find someone that has an "in" with a doctor.

I can send you some vicadins! :)

Jim, WD45 I feel your pain as well! ^_^ Jim, that's for the offer, I have my Mom's super strong pain pills, which don't do anything, anyway.

Yes, I my leg is somewhat numb, and tingly. My leg just seems so weak, I just drag it along. I am using a walker just to get from my room to use the bathroom (From the TMI file, it's taking me 3 minutes to start peeing, don't know if it's the painpills, or the back issue :ph34r: )

Chuck, right now, life isn't going on. I can't work, or sleep much. I spend 22-23 hours a day in bed. Sometimes I can sit in a chair for a half hour. Several times, I have come out to use the computer, sit for a sec, the pain reaches 10 on a scale of 1 to 10 and I crawl back into bed, where the pain isn't nearly as bad. My 74 year old Father is having to bring food and water to me(can't use a walker and hold on to a plate)Wish we hadn't given away Mom's wheel chair, but we can rent one. If I have ruptured another disc, I wish it could have happened in January....

Dude, not being able to pee is NOT good. I would get to a doctor pronto. Of course, the ER is an option although they are slow as hell and sitting there for who-knows-how-long would be worse than just lying in bed...

You have to find a doctor that is working. This is not good.

ALERT, berigan, THE FOLLOWING MESSASGE IS VERY IMPORTANT...

GET TO A DOCTOR FAST, FAST, FAST. You are having classic symptoms of an enlarged prostate. It does not have to be fatal or very serious yet, but you need to be examined, FAST. Doctor should take a PSA test for seriousness of situation. FAST!!!!

ALERT, Jim, your situation is just like mine. I am a vibe player who has been standing on one leg for 30 years, sleeping on bad beds and sitting in improper chairs. The problem (don't know how it occurs) sounds like a pinched nerve (like mine) in one of your lower back vertebrae. A really good bed, proper height chairs and furniture with good back support to correct the "L" angle in sitting will give results you won't believe. AND will reduce your expenses for pain pills tremendously. Take Motrin to reduce inflammation for a week.

I used to walk with a cane and now I only keep it in the car "just in case" but I haven't used it in six months.

Good luck to you both.

Bruce

:cool: :bwallace2: :bwallace:

Edited by BruceW

Yes, Conrad, you need to get to a doctor. Even the ER should take you seriously if you tell them you can't pee.

Bruce, thanks for the advice. I just have to get back into the chiropractor. It was working very well. I have also been avoiding sitting on my couch, which has terrible back support. I've been taking 800mg ibuprofens just to be able to move normally lately. Not fun.

My back problems are from stupidly moving the B3 by myself, yes. I pulled my back very badly in May and it has just gotten worse as time passes. Like I said, the chiropractor seemed to be helping, but I've only seen her once in the past three weeks. I just have to get back into the regular rotation and I think I'll be fine.

The funny thing is, she tells me not to lift anything. That's pretty much impossible with a 20 month old child running around and being a musician. Even with my small rig, the synths weigh 50 lbs or more a piece.

I've been v. lucky not to have seriously screwed up my back given that I did manual labor off and on til well past 40. My back was bugging me a little a while back so I went to see my ex who has a manipulation only osteopath practice. She took one look at the Studebaker , put her hands on my back and said "you've been putting your elbow out the window, haven't you?" I had to admit I had. She said "knock It off!", worked on my back a little and I followed her advice and am all better now. I highly reccomend Osteopaths over chiroquackers 'cause an Osteopath is a fully licensed physician who can prescribe drugs, do surgery or manipulation depending on what's appropriate for your situation. A Chiro can only do (different sort of) manipulation so they think everything is your spine whether it reaaly is or not...