cdr labelling===help please

frank m

Can any of you guys help me. I need recommendations for software for a Macintosh for making labels for burned CDR/RW's and the preformed papers on which they're printed. I've checked the internet and I'm overwhelmed with conflicting claims for such products. Have any of you any experience and recommendations?? Thanks

Your best bet, in my opinion, is to use printable CDRs and not labels. The Epson R220 printer is about $90 at most stores. With that and some printable CDRs (available in both silver and white) you can get some really beautiful results.

The R220 prints nice pictures as well. I've been using non-OEM ink off ebay for mine with no problems, which is handy since it costs 1/6th the price of Epson's ink.

Labels that stick on the CDs can come off, which is death to any slot-loading CD player, like in your car. I've had it happen.

Edited by Jim Alfredson

Your best bet, in my opinion, is to use printable CDRs and not labels. The Epson R220 printer is about $90 at most stores. With that and some printable CDRs (available in both silver and white) you can get some really beautiful results.

The R220 prints nice pictures as well. I've been using non-OEM ink off ebay for mine with no problems, which is handy since it costs 1/6th the price of Epson's ink.

Labels that stick on the CDs can come off, which is death to any slot-loading CD player, like in your car. I've had it happen.

Jim speaks truth.

I sometimes have trouble ripping CDRs with stick-on labels, especially if the label gets too close to the edge of the CD. I have been spending time and effort pulling off labels in order to rip. In one case, I ruined the disc. :angry:

I don't use labels any more. Jim's idea sounds great.

What are the criticisms? The only fault I have is that the ink is too expensive (which is solved by buying the non-OEM ink on eBay) and that printing CDs is a relatively slow process. Otherwise, I have no complaints. I think it does a great job. But I have the R200, not the R220, although I honestly don't think there are many differences.

Jim,Gdogus and all----

I checked on the Epson R220 customer comments at Amazon and found a lot of criticism. Have you guys had any trouble with it????

Sorry, frank - should've been clearer. I don't have a CD printer; I was seconding Jim's comments about the pitfalls of stick-on labels. I used to use them quite a bit, but found that after a year or two the labels began to come unglued, especially around the edges, making them treacherous to use in all kinds of players. Since then, I've stuck to good ol' low-tech CDR marker pens.