Cootie Williams and 'Round Midnight

Hardbopjazz

Cootie's band was still basically a swing band, except for Bud -

The band also recorded a number called "The Boppers". I'll dig it up and give it a listen again.

That was originally called "Floogie boo" and, according to the sleeve notes, was written by Cootie and Cleanhead. It was recorded on 4 Jan 1944, some weeks before Coleman Hawkins made the first Bebop record. (Ahem!) :w

MG

The cd on which I have it (Jazz Archives) claims that it was written by Cootie alone and that it's the same as "You Talk a Little Trash"-- which it is, just speeded up. However the cd notes also make the dubious claim that the alto solo may be by Bird, so who knows how much they can be trusted.

BTW I'd say that Ken Kersey who plays on Epistrophy also brings some Bop to the band.

I hadn't noticed that - I'll play them both later. The sleeve of my edition (Phoenix LP1) just gives Williams as the writer of Trash but both him and Vinson for the same song faster. Funny.... ?

MG

Just listened to them both. I don't think they're the same tune. They're both blues. There are some similar figures in them. That's it, far's I cnsi.

MG

It's taken me a while to get back to this but I've just played them again and on the cd I have Trash and Bopper are virtually the same but at different tempos. I wonder if the songs are labeled differently on the 2 records. Yours says that Epistrophy and Floogie Boo are the same?

Cootie's band was still basically a swing band, except for Bud -

The band also recorded a number called "The Boppers". I'll dig it up and give it a listen again.

That was originally called "Floogie boo" and, according to the sleeve notes, was written by Cootie and Cleanhead. It was recorded on 4 Jan 1944, some weeks before Coleman Hawkins made the first Bebop record. (Ahem!) :w

MG

The cd on which I have it (Jazz Archives) claims that it was written by Cootie alone and that it's the same as "You Talk a Little Trash"-- which it is, just speeded up. However the cd notes also make the dubious claim that the alto solo may be by Bird, so who knows how much they can be trusted.

BTW I'd say that Ken Kersey who plays on Epistrophy also brings some Bop to the band.

I hadn't noticed that - I'll play them both later. The sleeve of my edition (Phoenix LP1) just gives Williams as the writer of Trash but both him and Vinson for the same song faster. Funny.... ?

MG

Just listened to them both. I don't think they're the same tune. They're both blues. There are some similar figures in them. That's it, far's I cnsi.

MG

It's taken me a while to get back to this but I've just played them again and on the cd I have Trash and Bopper are virtually the same but at different tempos. I wonder if the songs are labeled differently on the 2 records. Yours says that Epistrophy and Floogie Boo are the same?

No, my copy doesn't say anything about Epistrophy. The source of that is Lord, I think, and possibly some other places I can't remember. Cootie's band did another version of "Trash" a few years later - 1947 - that's a bit faster then the 1944 version, from what I can remember. I'll get that out later this evening, perhaps.

MG