Charlie Parker - Savoy & Dial Master Takes

Aggie87

Ok, so yourmusic.com now offers the Parker Savoy & Dial Master Takes 3 disc set. I have just recently purchased the "Complete Dial Sessions Master Takes" and "Complete Savoy Masters" on Definitive Records. I know, I know...I feel morally conflicted by purchasing these, but they were cheap, and I figured if the sound quality was good, I'd replace them with the legitimate release anyway. So after a few spins, I decided the sound quality was just fine (and assume it's essentially identical to the Savoy & Dial Master Takes).

However, the Definitive sets are 2 cds each, and full. So after comparing track lists, it appears the 3 disc set is missing the following:

Dizzy Gillespie Sextet - 28 Feb 1945

- "Groovin High"

- "All the Things You Are"

- "Dizzy Atmosphere"

Red Norvo and his Selected Sextet - 6 June 1945

- "Hallelujah"

- "Get Happy"

- "Slam Slam Blues"

- "Congo Blues"

Slim Gaillard Orchestra - 29 Dec 1945

- "Dizzy's Boogie"

- "Flat Foot Floogie"

- "Poppity Pop"

- "Slim's Jam"

Dizzy/Parker/J. Lewis/A. McKibbon/J. Harris - Carnegie Hall, 29 Sept 1947

- "A Night in Tunisia"

- "Dizzy Atmosphere"

- "Groovin' High"

- "Confirmation"

- "Koko"

This confuses me. Why were these sessions left off the Master Takes box? I'm wondering if I shouldn't hang on to these Definitive sets, since they seem to be "more complete"?

Edited by Aggie87

Thanks for the replies.

The Definitive liner notes (which I'd pretty much ignored as superficial biography) cleared this up further - the Gillespie & Gaillard sessions were originally on the Continental and BelTone labels, and later published by Savoy. Not sure where the Red Norvo came from, but it still includes Parker, so I won't complain. And the Carnegie Hall tracks are considered "bonus".

this here

Dizzy Gillespie Sextet - 28 Feb 1945

- "Groovin High"

- "All the Things You Are"

- "Dizzy Atmosphere"

is on the Dizzy Savoy Odyssey 3-fer and this

Red Norvo and his Selected Sextet - 6 June 1945

- "Hallelujah"

- "Get Happy"

- "Slam Slam Blues"

- "Congo Blues"

is on the Savoy The Modern 2-fer

Cheers, Tjobbe

If the Definitive notes say that the Gillespie tracks were on Continental, they are wrong. There are other sessions from 1945 on which Parker appeared that were on the Continental label, but the Gillespie session was originally recorded for Guild. Guild went out of business before all sides had been released, and the masters were bought by Musicraft which released them all, and later Savoy bought them and put them out too. I suppose that's the accuracy one can expect from Definitive.