Kobe outsmarted by a 19 year old

Sounds to me like this recently failed American Idol wannebe is determined to have her 15 minutes by any means necessary.

I don't know Chris, time will tell, but from the glowing things said about her by her friends, Honor student and all, makes me think at this time a spoiled, pampered athlete who never has had to hear the word no, would take no as just playing hard to get....

I don't know Chris, time will tell, but from the glowing things said about her by her friends, Honor student and all, makes me think at this time a spoiled, pampered athlete who never has had to hear the word no, would take no as just playing hard to get....

Well...some other friends are saying a few other things including a suicide attempt a couple of months ago and two other "encounters with the police" recently that the police refuse to comment on. I've also seen allegations that the girl is a regular NBA groupie. I'm sure all sorts of ugly and embarrassing things about both accuser and accused will be trickling out every day--and lord only knows how many will actually be true or not.

Guilty or innocent this is going to be a nightmare for both of them for the next year at least...

Guilty or innocent this is going to be a nightmare for both of them for the next year at least...

For those of you who are old enough to have teenaged daughters, you'd no doubt bristle at the automatic presumption that this young girl is out to seek fame and fortune. You'd also know by now that sexual assault is rampant in this society - most of it never reported. This trial and Kobe's "defense" will merely insure that many more young women will be afraid to report rape and assault because of the price they'll have to pay in the media and the courtroom. Bryant's lawyer is one of the best and most aggressive in Colorado if not the country. She'll rip this young girl to shreds. Ugly times ahead.

Yeah, it's already started. I watched these two idiot lawyers on CNN over the weekend "debating" the case. The lawyer taking the defense position was arguing that if she had voluntarily gone to Bryant's room at midnight it would look like consent to a jury and the lawyer taking the prosecution position was crying foul and yelling "sexist" and it was ALL JUST SPECULATION at this point.

Honestly, I think lawyers should be disbarred for trying cases in the media and these two had NOTHING to do with either side. They were just media whores.

For those of you who are old enough to have teenaged daughters, you'd no doubt bristle at the automatic presumption that this young girl is out to seek fame and fortune. You'd also know by now that sexual assault is rampant in this society - most of it never reported. This trial and Kobe's "defense" will merely insure that many more young women will be afraid to report rape and assault because of the price they'll have to pay in the media and the courtroom. Bryant's lawyer is one of the best and most aggressive in Colorado if not the country. She'll rip this young girl to shreds. Ugly times ahead.

Excellent points, Ron.

I don't have any daughters and my natural inclination is to trust Kobe Bryant as he couldn't be that stupid.

Ron's post, however, makes me wonder... I guess some of these stars can develop a feeling of invulnerability. Can't imagine, however, someone forcing someone else into sex unless there were some kind of tacit signals or signs that it was the desired thing to do, and the stupid athlete thought that the girl was just putting up token resistance.

I bow to your greater understanding of this issue, Ron. You may just as well be right.

Hopefully the truth comes out of this trial, but then I think that trials are fora for lies (otherwise, there wouldn't be lawyers, i.e. people hired to speak FOR YOU.) Cynical bastard that I am, just as I believe that politicians exist in order to tell lies smoothly, so lawyers exist to do the same thing.

Edited by connoisseur series500

The world has no shortage of people who get married but have no respect for what marriage is supposed to be all about. Professional atheletes are subjected to more opportunities to cheat on their wives than most, but it doesn't make them the only ones who commit this sort of crime nor is it an excuse to do so.

I hope that if I am lucky enough to fall in love and get married that I can look my wife in the eyes and know she is telling me the truth and know that I am telling her the truth. Mutual trust, honor, respect...I intend to MEAN IT should I enter into such a sacred agreement.

My parents have been married for over thirty years--what they have is priceless.

I thought Kobe was more like myself in that respect. Very disappointing. :tdown

Also consider the fact that someone of Kobe's stature and looks, a man with no known history of sexual violence, does not need to force himself upon anyone. This would not be the first time that consentual intercourse has been labeled "rape."

Rape has nothing to do with "stature" "looks" or the "need to force himself upon anyone" for sex. Rape is about power, using sex to force ones will on another. Saying that he is innocent due to his good looks and money is naive, at best. I have no idea if he is guilty or innocent...that is for the court to decide. I just hope that no more women have to be treated as if their rapist was the victim because they were "in a place they shouldn't have been" or "wearing provocative clothes," etc...

The girl's credibility has taken a number of hits in a short period of time. She has been called a "known Denver Nuggets groupie"; it is reported she tried out for American Idol and upon failing attempted suicide via an OD on pills;and she has had the police to her house twice recently making accusations in which no charges were filed.

Kobe's credibility has taken the hit that he committed adultery.

Rapists do tend to fit a profile that does not match Kobe's, to reiterate Christiern's point.

Edited by Noj

If I had Kobe's wife for my bride, I wouldn't be looking anywhere else...she's gorgeous, and if she's standing by him through all of this, knowing that a California divorce automatically entitles her to 1/2 of his fortune, then she's a damn good woman. From everything I've seen/read on the case, something doesn't smell right about the whole thing. But, on the other hand, Colorado is a long way from Chicago, I could very well be smelling a lot of things...

If I had Kobe's wife for my bride, I wouldn't be looking anywhere else...she's gorgeous, and if she's standing by him through all of this, knowing that a California divorce automatically entitles her to 1/2 of his fortune, then she's a damn good woman. From everything I've seen/read on the case, something doesn't smell right about the whole thing.

Amen!

And I would like to add that although I don't know all the facts of the case, I believe that Mike Tyson served a jail term for something that was consensual. He was jailed for his reputation not his actions.

Rapists do tend to fit a profile that does not match Kobe's, to reiterate Christiern's point.

What profile is that?

Kobe has not come across to me as having anger towards women/issues with women; no substance abuse problems coupled with violent tendencies...no violent tendencies at all...rapists usually have those characteristics, don't they?

I remember when Kobe got socked by Chris Childs and tried to answer--looked like he'd never thrown a punch in his life.

Also consider the fact that someone of Kobe's stature and looks, a man with no known history of sexual violence, does not need to force himself upon anyone. This would not be the first time that consentual intercourse has been labeled "rape."

Rape has nothing to do with "stature" "looks" or the "need to force himself upon anyone" for sex. Rape is about power, using sex to force ones will on another. Saying that he is innocent due to his good looks and money is naive, at best.

I threw that into the thread as something to be considered. Yes, rape is about power, but--by the same token--rape accusations are sometimes about a need to be recognized or rich. You are twisting my words when you imply that I said he was innocent. He may be, or not--the fact remains that the possibility of Kobe having been framed by an opportunistic woman seeking something other than justice is also highly plausible.

The girl's credibility has taken a number of hits in a short period of time. She has been called a "known Denver Nuggets groupie"; it is reported she tried out for American Idol and upon failing attempted suicide via an OD on pills;and she has had the police to her house twice recently making accusations in which no charges were filed.

Kobe's credibility has taken the hit that he committed adultery.

This is what I found on the web about her health....

The Vail Daily News reported last week that the young woman sought a doctor's care this spring for serious emotional problems that resulted from the death of a friend, and a breakup in a relationship.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/sports/233...555/detail.html

If I had Kobe's wife for my bride, I wouldn't be looking anywhere else...she's gorgeous, and if she's standing by him through all of this, knowing that a California divorce automatically entitles her to 1/2 of his fortune, then she's a damn good woman.

I don't see what this says about anything.

She has access to 100% of his fortune now. :rolleyes: