Donald Waldon

Hi all

I'm actually a soul music fan (I like jazz but don't know a great deal about it) so hope you'll bear with me.

I'm trying to contact Donald Waldon to discover whether he is the same Donald Waldon as was associated with the mir-a-don label in the 60s. It seems at least possible. Do any of you guys know, or could you point me in the direction of someone who might?

Thanks in advance

Dan

Donald was in D.C. in October 2003 with Elvin and Hank at the Congressional Black Caucus Jazz Panel. I thought he had a really nice tone. Does he have anything out right now?

Bertrand.

Donald Walden's "A Monk and A Mingus Among Us" is available on CDbaby. I have this recording and really enjoy it. My favorite track is Mingus' "Cell Block F". Walden also has a great CD of Tadd Dameron tunes called "Focus".

http://cdbaby.com/cd/walden3

Donald and his quintet performed a great set at the IAJRC Convention in Ann Arbor, MI a couple of years ago. The theme was "Detroit Composers". The group played tunes by Abe Woodley and Barry Harris...to name a few.

Edited by wigwise

Hey, Wiggy...we should get together soon....

Abe Woodley died at least twenty years ago, don't have the exact year to hand. Wig is right, Walden's CDs are really good. Donald's an Associate Prof at U of M and occasionally leads groups around town, absolutely worth hearing. He had a group at Baker's last year was one of the most exciting nights I can remember, Rick Roe, Ralphe Armstrong, Sean Dobbins. Pure post-bop madness.

Dan, the "Donald Waldon" associated with Mir-A-Don records isn't "Donald Walden" ("another imposter!" was Donald's comment...)