"Say It Loud: Black-Pride Soul Jazz"

ghost of miles

donald_lou~_sayitloud_101b.jpg

This week on Night Lights we kick off Black History Month with “Say It Loud: Black-Pride Soul Jazz.” As the black-pride movement gained momentum in the late 1960s and early 1970s, an increasing number of jazz artists began to incorporate the message into their music. We’ll hear records made by Lou Donaldson, Gil Scott-Heron, Freddie Roach, Jackie McLean, artists on Detroit's Tribe label, and others. “Say It Loud” airs Saturday, February 4 at 11:05 p.m. (8:05 California time, 10:05 Chicago time) on WFIU; you can listen live, or wait until Monday afternoon, when the program will be posted to the Night Lights archives.

Next week: "Gigi Gryce, Part 1: Social Call."

Edited by ghost of miles

"Say It Loud" is now archived.

Help! My grasp of this technology is less than moderate. When I click on the "Say it loud" link on the "Night lights" site, it says "do you want to save or open this file?" What do I do?

MG

MG, are you right-clicking or left-clicking? It should simply be opening in either Real Player or Windows Media if you're left-clicking. If you continue to have trouble, I'll check with our webmaster. I don't think you should have to save it.

"Say It Loud" is now archived.

Help! My grasp of this technology is less than moderate. When I click on the "Say it loud" link on the "Night lights" site, it says "do you want to save or open this file?" What do I do?

MG

MG, are you right-clicking or left-clicking? It should simply be opening in either Real Player or Windows Media if you're left-clicking. If you continue to have trouble, I'll check with our webmaster. I don't think you should have to save it.

I'm left clicking.

MG

PS For some reason I'm not getting e-mails notifying me of replies, although it says I am. Could you send me the answer by a PM please?

MG

• 2 years later...

We're re-airing this program this weekend on WFIU at 11:05 p.m. EST as well as Michigan's Blue Lake Public Radio Sunday evening at 10 p.m. EST--and it will also air Sunday on KXOT-Tacoma, WA at 12 p.m. PST--but Say It Loud: Black-Pride Soul Jazz is already posted for online listening.

Next week: "The Langston Hughes Songbook."