2006 Grammy Winners

7/4

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now Herbie Hancock is accompanying a total destruction of Leon Russell's "A Song for You." This poor woman is simply clueless and Herbie is aiding and abetting. Horrible, and the crowd loves it! Well, at least the hired audience does.

The sad thing was, it was a step up for her as that was better than anything else she'd previously done (no real challenge there), and a giant step DOWN for him (can't beieve this is the same man who penned "Dolphin Dance").... <_<

..."aiding and abetting" seems a bit strong. He may simply be acting in the capacity of a mentor. The girl does have some serious vocals chops, and she has expressed more than a passing interest in jazz. Herbie's a open-minded musician who knows the industry inside out. Seems like a good fit; potentially very rewarding for both parties.

..."aiding and abetting" seems a bit strong. He may simply be acting in the capacity of a mentor. The girl does have some serious vocals chops, and she has expressed more than a passing interest in jazz. Herbie's a open-minded musician who knows the industry inside out. Seems like a good fit; potentially very rewarding for both parties.

You must work for some politician. The "spin" is dizzying. <_<

Industry awards are, in the main, a joke. In the case of the entertainment industry, what originally probably is created to honor achievement quickly soon becomes little more than a source of income, and it is all centered around the annual TV show. I think the Oscars can still lure people into theaters, but I don't see Grammys selling records or attracting people to concerts or clubs.

As I have said before, on an old thread that dealt with this topic, what these trophies do for you depends largely on how you work them. When a friend of mine was awarded a Tony for a Broadway musical, he immediately hired a PR person to exploit it. The Tony functioned as an excuse for media exposure and that, in turn, brought more work. One job alone paid for the PR person. The rest of the show's Tony winners did nothing but sit around and wait for their award to attract people--that usually doesn't work. These things are quickly forgotten, so one has to milk them while they're hot.

The Academy Awards, certainly, were created really to help promote movies. Rewarding perceived accomplishment is a useful way to do it. Most presenters are people with upcoming films, etc.

I'm sure the Grammys are the same. So if you win one and don't promote, then really you are failing the Academy. ;-)

Of course, Harry Smith won one for lifetime achievement for the Anthology of American Folk Music, so occasinally some good things happen.

Edited by Adam

Industry awards are, in the main, a joke. In the case of the entertainment industry, what originally probably is created to honor achievement quickly soon becomes little more than a source of income, and it is all centered around the annual TV show. I think the Oscars can still lure people into theaters, but I don't see Grammys selling records or attracting people to concerts or clubs.

As I have said before, on an old thread that dealt with this topic, what these trophies do for you depends largely on how you work them. When a friend of mine was awarded a Tony for a Broadway musical, he immediately hired a PR person to exploit it. The Tony functioned as an excuse for media exposure and that, in turn, brought more work. One job alone paid for the PR person. The rest of the show's Tony winners did nothing but sit around and wait for their award to attract people--that usually doesn't work. These things are quickly forgotten, so one has to milk them while they're hot.

The Academy Awards, certainly, were created really to help promote movies. Rewarding perceived accomplishment is a useful way to do it. Most presenters are people with upcoming films, etc.

I'm sure the Grammys are the same. So if you win one and don't promote, then really you are failing the Academy. ;-)

Of course, Harry Smith won one for lifetime achievement for the Anthology of American Folk Music and died soon thereafter, so occasinally some good things happen.

So you're saying it's a good thing Harry Smith is dead?

Of course, Harry Smith won one for lifetime achievement for the Anthology of American Folk Music and died soon thereafter, so occasinally some good things happen.

So you're saying it's a good thing Harry Smith is dead?

Yikes, I am. Bad writing. I shall fix.